LegacyGT.com

The Other Wagon

All right, lots of questions.

I will post why we got this vehicle, which will answer a lot...

We wanted a car that would carry the 4 of us and my or my wife's parents when they visit, very comfortably. To do this, we needed atleast 6 seats, and those seats had to fit adults. That is no easy task, and other than a mini-van, there really aren't a lot of options. We wanted AWD which eliminates all but 1 minivan. (Sienna) So, after test driving a Pilot, a Durango, an Explorer, an XC90, a Sorrento, etc, and the Flex, it was obvious which would do what we wanted, and was still a lot of fun...

If you are only getting rear seats for kids, you won't necessarily come to the same conclusion as we did...

For fun to drive, the handling in the Limited EB w/ AWD was on par or better than every other vehicle we drove. The EB engine, in the FLex and Explorer Sport, was just icing on the cake.

So, again, if you want pure people hauling(and luggage). Get a minivan.

If you want lots of munchkins in the car and AWD, get an Acadia or Pilot.

If you want 6 adults very comfortably in the car (and luggage), w/ AWD and that is fun to drive, get a Flex...

The 3rd row head rest are bad. I have not tried removing them. When you are back there, they are pretty comfortable. But when no one is back there, either the seats are folded down, or the seats are up but the headrests are down...

Anything else? ;)

Unacceptable. You used logic.

You should have instead bought an Excursion, and converted into a Raptor SUV with a supercharger, and monster truck tires. And no mufflers. And skulls painted all over it, with flames and shit.

You live in Nebraska now, and unless you want to be mistaken for someone living in the limp wristed, dick in the ass part of town you better get yourself a monster truck. :lol:

MFT is NOT Microsoft. Sync is the only Microsoft devoloped interface which actually works very well. MFT was a Ford developed product.

My apologizes. I didn't finish what I was saying about Microsoft. I know SYNC is Microsoft. Was supposed to be two different paragraphs.

Nice car. I really dig the Flex for its functionality and weird looks. It is properly large, but I bet the TT motor makes it fun to drive (at least in a straight line).

I actually looked pretty seriously at the new Sport Explorer. In its highest trim, it is expensive, but has most of the features I'd need. It looks even better than the Flex to me. Interior appointments are super nice (not only for a Ford). The EcoBoost makes the truck feel rather fast. Steering and handling was acceptable for 5000lbs machine.

I'd be curious of your opinion of the Flex once you throw a tune on it.

And congrats on getting a unique, cavernous family mobile.

• 5 months later...
Praedet - Did you cross-shop the EB Explorer at all? Why the flex over the Explorer?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Awesome! I feel like the Flex doesn't seem overly large until I park next to my wagon...

It's a freakin beast going down the road compared to the LGT.

Praedet - Did you cross-shop the EB Explorer at all? Why the flex over the Explorer?
Yes, see below...
All right, lots of questions.

I will post why we got this vehicle, which will answer a lot...

We wanted a car that would carry the 4 of us and my or my wife's parents when they visit, very comfortably. To do this, we needed atleast 6 seats, and those seats had to fit adults. That is no easy task, and other than a mini-van, there really aren't a lot of options. We wanted AWD which eliminates all but 1 minivan. (Sienna) So, after test driving a Pilot, a Durango, an Explorer, an XC90, a Sorrento, etc, and the Flex, it was obvious which would do what we wanted, and was still a lot of fun...

If you are only getting rear seats for kids, you won't necessarily come to the same conclusion as we did...

For fun to drive, the handling in the Limited EB w/ AWD was on par or better than every other vehicle we drove. The EB engine, in the Flex and Explorer Sport, was just icing on the cake.

So, again, if you want pure people hauling(and luggage). Get a minivan.

If you want lots of munchkins in the car and AWD, get an Acadia or Pilot.

If you want 6 adults very comfortably in the car (and luggage), w/ AWD and that is fun to drive, get a Flex...

Overall, we don't need any off road capability, want more space, and want a more wagon like drive. The Flex has all of that over the Explorer
Did you get the Flex tuned yet? Want to hear about the powah!
Not yet, I have a cat-back to put on in the next week or two and I am contemplating the tune...
It's a freakin beast going down the road compared to the LGT.
Yes and know, it is just such an effortless drive on the Hwy. Around town, it is fine. While the modded LGT is better in the curves and at 9/10ths hands down, the Flex is awfully nice for creature comforts (it is hot here now so A/C'ed seats are AWESOME!)
:spin:

Mmm ... cooled seats. Figured out what you're gonna use for a tuner? Torrie? As far as around town, I'm nervous going down all my local streets that have cars parked on both sides of the road. I kinda ride the yellow line, which isn't really safe either. I'll get used to it though. Turning radius also sucks, but that's only really a problem on rare maneuvers, so it's not that big of an issue. I agree about the road-tripping capabilities. Perfect for that.

Off-road capability? The Explorer doesn't have any of that any more either. ;) The Flex and Explorer are direct competitors now with what they've done to the Explorer. The Flex is better at most of what these cars are designed to do, but people know the name and prefer the styling on the Explorer. I'm very happy with my Flex. Never even considered the Explorer.

Yeah, probably Torrie. It is a big car. Have you used the auto-park yet? It is pretty fun! :D

I agree on the explorer. Basically it is form vs. function. And I actually do like the like the looks of the Flex...

:spin:

I’ll throw in a little Explorer Sport feedback since we just traded (reluctantly) the '05 LGT in on a new Explorer Sport. I liked the Flex, and it was going to be Ecoboost either way we went but I just couldn't sell the wife on the body of the Flex. I had a Flex Limited a couple of years back as a rental, that thing was awesome. Interior was great, and huge. The Explorer definitely isn't as roomy, but it was the right fit for us. Hauls more crap than the LGT, and we didn't have to go big like an Expedition or similar. No way were we going down that road. Not with another V8 guzzler in the driveway already.

I expect the EB Flex is a much better "drivers car". Just looks like something an enthusiast would drive. The Explorer Sport I expect has more body roll. Something that I suppose can’t be avoided with a car like this. The ride is pretty stiff, especially compared to the Limited but certainly not what I’d call harsh. Just tight enough to make it fun, but not unpleasant. The interior is great, nav, heated/cooled seats, the list goes on. The comfort level is obviously way above the LGT, but it also cost twice as much. My big complaints about the Sport so far are the FWD bias of the AWD (they call it 4wd but uhh... no). In normal terrain mode, it's a 90/10 bias to the front. So when you hammer on it, the torque steer is awful. What's worse... it does it during an aggressive lane change/pass maneuver out on the highway at 65. I've gotten a little more accustomed to gripping the wheel to make sure the car doesn't get stupid, but the fact remains that it will if you let it. The terrain management will adjust the bias, but it also neuters the shift points, so you can’t cheat the system by switching to “sand mode” etc. I’m hoping with some owner feedback that they might come back with a flash, but I know it’ll never happen.

Gas MPG's are lower than the LGT but since it's 87 vs. 93 the cost is basically a wash. The MPG's on ours are still going up just a bit. The LGT got ~20 when I was standing on it, which was most of the time, and the Expl is getting 16-17 when I'm getting on it, which is most of the time. On the hwy it gets 20 easy.

Anyway, I hope that helps provide a little more insight into the Explorer side of the equation.

It does, thank you for the review!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I just realized how negative that review sounded. Let me throw in the positive. I love the Explorer Sport, and this thing is so far above the Limited that we rented as a “trial run” a few months back… there is no comparison. I have no regrets about stepping up from the sedan to the Explorer. Like I said before, the interior is first rate, and the added space is invaluable. It’s automatic only (but it does have paddle shifters which are fun to play around with) but it still gets up and hauls. Seat of the pants feel is as good or better than our Legacy GT. I believe on paper they’re very close in 0-60. Braking is quick, and sure. The oversized brakes are a big help. It stops on a dime. The LGT got me into a bind a couple of times on braking. It’s unique on the road, just like the Legacy you don’t see many of them. As I would expect on a Ford the AC blows like hurricane. Acceleration is very linear except for one little dip in the mid range that you can only feel if you’re standing on the throttle. I can’t think of anything else, but the short version is that I like driving the thing as much as I did a sports sedan. Just have to realize that it’s not QUITE the same. :)

Archived