LegacyGT.com

The Other Wagon

Nice! I love that vehicle. Seriously considering getting one in the next six - eight months. Looks like a 2013. I haven't even checked out the 2013s since I started coveting one 2 years ago. Not sure how I feel about that new grill/headlight combination. Will have to think about it. Are those oem wheels on there, too? Ford is really spicing up the styling on these cars. How about the sunroof? Did you get the monster glass and roof rails combo?

What trim line did you get? I assume you got the Ecoboost engine. I researched into a bit of aftermarket for the Ecoboost about 8 months ago and their appeared to be next to no market for it. Couple piggyback tuners and such, but no real exhaust options, etc. All I saw on forums were a bunch of people saying the ecoboost already comes from the factory with all the performance it's ever gonna make. It's already as efficient as it will get. Nonsense, I say. But I admit, I'm not really capable of rolling my own custom hard parts. ;) I need somebody to make stuff, so I can buy 'em.

Let's see...

Ecoboost? Yes (so AWD as well)

Titanium Package (which includes the rims)? Yes

Trim? Limited w/ Titanium Package.

Vista Roof? Yes

Almost as loaded as possible. We did not get the console in the 2nd row, regular or refrigerated...

As far as the aftermarket, for all years there are cat-backs and intakes, all years except for 2013 there is EM, and they are working on 2013 now. Full-Race has an IC, DP and turbos for the F-150s they are working on and then they will do it for the SHO and Flex.

I will mod it, but not yet. First just some snows. This is the road trip car. At that it excels. The technology on this thing is ridiculous. It is also interesting comparing the two since the HP and TQ are about the same when I have in E85. Those small turbos on a V-6 make 1800 rpm feel like 3K in my car...

:spin:

You are right in line with what I'm thinking about. Mod? Yes, but not soon. Just snows to start until it's out of warranty. Can't decide on the 2nd row captains/console or split bench.

Sounds like the Ecoboost is just too new to have much aftermarket support. But it's coming down the pipe. Probably be a nice solid little market when I'm ready to get into it.

My wife wants an Odyssey or a Sienna. I like the styling on the Flex (not for everybody, I get that) while still maintaining almost all of the benefits of a minivan. Help me convince my wife!

I think the vans are a bit bigger inside. Seems like most of the van configurations have 3 seats/seatbelts in the 3rd row, while the Flex only has two. Granted, more room in those seats, but I'm probably more likely to have more little kid shapes back there than I am less adult shapes. That's what makes the 2nd row choice so tough. The 2nd row captains chairs are nice and I think that should make it easier to get in the third row as opposed to the 2nd row bench, but I don't really know.

Seems like the Ecoboost has more pep than the minivans, but I've never actually driven and Ecoboosted Flex. My sister's 2010 Sienna seems to have sufficient get up and go to get out of it's own way without being actually fast. Enough to get by, but not really enough for true fun. Same with my sister-in-law's 2008 Odyssey. How's the Ecoboosted Flex drive? Sounds like the boost comes right on. Do you feel it's fast enough to be fun? Obviously, I'm not looking for essteeai performance in a wallowing minivan crossover, but I would like performance to be toward the top end of the car class. Unfortunately, performance issues matter to my wife, not at all.

We were originally going to do the 3rd row bench, but then we talked and realized w/ 2 car seats, an adult enjoying themselves there will not happen (in any car). Plus, the individual seats allow you to move the 2nd row forward to maximize room in the 3rd row, and allow easier entry to the 3rd row.

The support for EB is about what it was for the LGT when I started ;)

A minivan has slightly more room. But, no minivan is as much fun to drive, has quite the bells and whistles, or handles as well, plus the EB is MUCH better than the engies in the minivans, especially for towing.

I think the stock EB flex is about a 6 or so second 0-60 stock and low 14s/high 13s 1/4 mile. I believe a modded flex is now in the 12s...

There is nothing comparable in a minivan yet...

I've had a Flex as a rental car for a few weeks now. It's not as dreadful as I expected, but that "My Ford Touch" system sucks. Tremendously bad. Mine has the standard N/A V6, which is horribly anemic.

Aside from that, it's not a bad ride and I'd be lying if I wasn't considering an EB one as a minivan alternative.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^^^I haven't had the problems with it that some folks have. Don't know if it is hit or miss, a firmware thing, or what...

A good friend said the dash reminded him of a business jet wrt the various displays...

I have had two trims for a rental. A standard, lower level trim and a Limited (in that now). I also had a '13 Escape (which almost caught fire).

The first Flex's MFT was decent. Not too laggy, not too annoying, and it wouldn't randomly decide my iPhone was no longer the source of choice.

The Limited's MFT is a bit worse. It's definitely laggy at odd times, and it seems to randomly decide which source on my iPhone it'll play. Sometimes it starts playing Pandora where it left off, sometimes it'll pull up my iPod. Switching screens is really laggy, and the climate control is annoying on the Sony equipped model.

The Escape was a shitbox. That MFT NEVER worked, and the rental company is lucky I didn't put my foot through the dash. It would switch inputs randomly, then choose a random radio station, jack the volume way up, and freeze. It wouldn't unfreeze when restarting the car or anything, it'd reset only when it felt like it. Very annoying.

Overall the Flex is much nicer than expected. I still don't like the exterior, though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yeah MFT is really touchy. I recently left Ford. Hopefully things will get worked out. Otherwise Ford needs to drop Microsh*t.

The EB Flex is a nice car. Seems people are running 13's stock with them. That's a pretty fast "minivan" if you ask me. Congrats on the purchase!

Yeah MFT is really touchy. I recently left Ford. Hopefully things will get worked out. Otherwise Ford needs to drop Microsh*t.

The EB Flex is a nice car. Seems people are running 13's stock with them. That's a pretty fast "minivan" if you ask me. Congrats on the purchase!

MFT is NOT Microsoft. Sync is the only Microsoft devoloped interface which actually works very well. MFT was a Ford developed product.

MFT is NOT Microsoft. Sync is the only Microsoft devoloped interface which actually works very well. MFT was a Ford developed product.

Sync has not worked well at all in my Ford rentals so far.

The 6-8 passenger, AWD, cars up to $60K

MDX didn't make the cut vs the Flex?

I've not really looked too hard at the Flex, however now I might have to. I'd been sort of sold on an MDX to act as SUV/Wagon/I have a kid now and need more space....

I'm curious if you cross shopped the EB Explorer Sport.

I think since the redesign of the Explorer that it has not really been the equal of the Flex. Either in build quality or concept. The new Explorers have had a lot of their off road capability removed which means that the Explorer has gotten much closer to the Flex in terms of capability and performance and market. The main difference between the two now is ground clearance and styling. But they are both soccer mom suvs not really intended to ever go off-road. The equivalent of being a minivan, without actually being a minivan.

However, the Flex was designed with this demographic in mind, while the Explorer was really just neutered into this territory, so the Flex fits it's market better with more comfort features and I believe even has better build quality (at least in the last generation Flex, I don't know how things are looking since the refresh and I've heard Ford is going on a downhill trend again after being near the top of all vehicles in quality for a while there).

Unfortunately, the Explorer name has huge market value and the Flex's quirky styling is not for everyone. My guess is that this refresh will be the last update for the Flex with a 2-3 year run, after which the Flex will likely go the way of the dodo in favor of a pussy Explorer.

The Land Rover, Land Cruiser, and Pathfinder fit into that demographic that the Explorer used to be in as well. Slightly less family-friendly and more rugged and utility focused (better towing, better off-road, etc). The Flex isn't really designed to compete with that market, though the needs of buyers are similar.

I feel like the MDX isn't really as big as the Flex. But that's just an impression I have. I don't know if it's actually true. The Honda Pilot has three rows of seats too, but I think the third row in the Flex is a lot better than the third row in the Pilot.

The pilot has 3 seats in the third row, the flex just 2.

^ That has value, especially if you want to cram more people in. I feel like the leg room is better in the Flex (I admit I've never sat in the back of a Flex. Pilot 3rd row is not really comfortable for a full sized adult though). With only two seats, there is more room per seat also. Though, I will probably miss a third seatbelt in the back when I have nieces and nephews in town. The auto folding seats can also flip back to face backwards. How cool is that. I do hate the Flex third row headrests though. Hey, Praedet. How easy does it look to remove those? Would it interfere with the auto operation of the seats if they were just gone?

All right, lots of questions.

I will post why we got this vehicle, which will answer a lot...

We wanted a car that would carry the 4 of us and my or my wife's parents when they visit, very comfortably. To do this, we needed atleast 6 seats, and those seats had to fit adults. That is no easy task, and other than a mini-van, there really aren't a lot of options. We wanted AWD which eliminates all but 1 minivan. (Sienna) So, after test driving a Pilot, a Durango, an Explorer, an XC90, a Sorrento, etc, and the Flex, it was obvious which would do what we wanted, and was still a lot of fun...

If you are only getting rear seats for kids, you won't necessarily come to the same conclusion as we did...

For fun to drive, the handling in the Limited EB w/ AWD was on par or better than every other vehicle we drove. The EB engine, in the FLex and Explorer Sport, was just icing on the cake.

So, again, if you want pure people hauling(and luggage). Get a minivan.

If you want lots of munchkins in the car and AWD, get an Acadia or Pilot.

If you want 6 adults very comfortably in the car (and luggage), w/ AWD and that is fun to drive, get a Flex...

The 3rd row head rest are bad. I have not tried removing them. When you are back there, they are pretty comfortable. But when no one is back there, either the seats are folded down, or the seats are up but the headrests are down...

Anything else? ;)

Archived