LegacyGT.com

Debating snow tire size

205/50 is stock for 17, so they will be cheapest. Just a quick question for everyone... Why is there this worry about fitments? You can Run a 235 on stock rims with the lip, and the wheel wells have at least 3 extra inches of ride height. So you could run a 90 if you wanted. You will not run into fit issues on a 55>.

Hancook makes a great tire. They are one of the lesser read about (like Toyo) that make good quality for a nice price. Just think Pirelli before they went to crap for lower end tires (group buys at Walmart). Sumitomo makes a decent tire, but i have heard tons about not getting anywhere near the estimated life of the tire.

Andrew, Where you from? Some cars way north, or around the great lakes, you want to go studded or option of stud due to ice. And what is your rim situation? Are you going to swap snows onto stock rims then go back to AWR come spring? Remember that most places charge around 18-25$ a wheel to mount and balance. So although it may be 300, by the time you are done it can be 400 easy, then another 100 to swap back on later in the year.

Andrew, Where you from? Some cars way north, or around the great lakes, you want to go studded or option of stud due to ice. And what is your rim situation? Are you going to swap snows onto stock rims then go back to AWR come spring? Remember that most places charge around 18-25$ a wheel to mount and balance. So although it may be 300, by the time you are done it can be 400 easy, then another 100 to swap back on later in the year.

If he obtains a second set of wheels for the snow tires Discount Tire will swap them at no charge.

• 3 weeks later...
I like to run 225's on both car for the winter, just because I don't want to give up dry performance. The wagon does have 225/50-17 but I hate those tires, Nokian WR G3's, they suck as a dry weather tire.

Interesting. I used to run the original Nokian WR on LGT (in stock size) and they were surprisingly good in dry. So are WR G2 I run on another vehicle.

Interesting. I used to run the original Nokian WR on LGT (in stock size) and they were surprisingly good in dry. So are WR G2 I run on another vehicle.

There is this one X type intersection in the small town, that when the roads are wet and I coast and begin braking as I turn in, at about 25mph, the G3's will push. Other tires will just turn and not slide. After you make the left turn there is a stop sign. So you really can't go to fast into the turn.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I actually went with Federal himilayas. 280$ shipped and 48$ mount/balanced on another set of stock rims. So I can switch over myself come spring. Not sure if studs are legal or not in PA, but it doesn’t get all that bad here and I don’t put many miles on. 20 miles a day to work and back. Federals feel a bit floaty but handled OK in the first snowfall here. 3” or so.

I actually went with Federal himilayas. 280$ shipped and 48$ mount/balanced on another set of stock rims. So I can switch over myself come spring. Not sure if studs are legal or not in PA, but it doesn’t get all that bad here and I don’t put many miles on. 20 miles a day to work and back. Federals feel a bit floaty but handled OK in the first snowfall here. 3” or so.

I have the same set of tires and have been pretty happy with them so far. Handled a few 8inch snowfalls with ease and some sliding as well :)

Archived