LegacyGT.com

Motor Trend's 2013 Car of the Year is... Electric

Think they can? Did you not watch the video? They DID drive it from LV to LA on one charge. ;)

Interesting. No I haven't seen the video. I can't really watch videos at work as I have no sound and they require constant attention :(

Ah, from where they left was also about 20 miles less than what I thought the drive would have been (265 vs 285 miles which does fall into their reported range).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sure that frequent use of the fast charger would wear the battery down pretty quickly, but I suspect that most people could along just fine with overnight charging most of the time, with only an occasional fast charge on long road trips.

I just saw an interview with their founder, Elon Musk, and he says their next car will cost a lot less and they plan to sell a lot more of them.

Interesting times.

• 7 months later...

Model S beats BRZ around Laguna Seca. ;)

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1085648_tesla-model-s-roadster-set-new-ev-lap-records-at-laguna-seca-video

Also puts the Model S ahead of some other pretty quick cars...

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/laguna_seca.html

Whoooops! :D;)

Also, to correct NSFW's take regarding use of fast charging, the use of Superchargers (the fastest way to charge the S) does NOT wear the battery down. There are no restrictions on Supercharger use and the batteries are warrantied for 8 years/125,000 (60 kWh battery) or 8 years/Unlimited miles (85 kWh battery).

As for the next car, it will be an SUV built on the same skateboard that the S is built on and called the Model X. Their Gen III will be the smaller (think 3 series BMW) and they are targeting it to be priced around 40K base.

Cheers!

Archived