LegacyGT.com

Motor Trend's 2013 Car of the Year is... Electric

Cool car, too bad it is 60k and electric which means anyone buying one will most likely still need a gas powered car for other duties or longer ranges. 60k for a car that is supposed to be a DD that you can't drive every where is quite a bit.

Cool car, too bad it is 60k and electric which means anyone buying one will most likely still need a gas powered car for other duties or longer ranges. 60k for a car that is supposed to be a DD that you can't drive every where is quite a bit.

This exactly. Neat car? For sure. Would I buy one? Fock no. 2013 must be a weak ass year for cars to name an electric one Car of the Year.

This exactly. Neat car? For sure. Would I buy one? Fock no. 2013 must be a weak ass year for cars to name an electric one Car of the Year.

Meh, it will satisfy 99% of daily driving for 99% of people. If you need to take a long trip just rent a car. I'm guessing those who are in the market for a $60k luxury car could afford it. Might even prefer it to putting excess mileage on their fun car. 325 lb-ft @ 0 rpm is pretty bad ass.

Meh, it will satisfy 99% of daily driving for 99% of people. If you need to take a long trip just rent a car. I'm guessing those who are in the market for a $60k luxury car could afford it. Might even prefer it to putting excess mileage on their fun car. 325 lb-ft @ 0 rpm is pretty bad ass.

^Agreed. Unfortunately the performance model with the uprated 85kWh battery providing max HP/Torque ratings at 416HP and 443 lb-ft starts at $92k!!! It will also take some time before they expand their charging station network across the country (150 mile range for 30min of charging time). Badass for sure but alot of $$$. I must admit I was smitten when we ran across one of the Tesla Stores in the mall when visiting family in Denver this past spring. They also just opened a new store this past weekend at the Short Hills Mall in NNJ.

^Agreed. Unfortunately the performance model with the uprated 85kWh battery providing max HP/Torque ratings at 416HP and 443 lb-ft starts at $92k!!! It will also take some time before they expand their charging station network across the country (150 mile range for 30min of charging time). Badass for sure but alot of $$$.

One thing to be said about quick charge stations is the faster the charge the more harmful it is for battery life. They said a Nissan leaf being charged with quick charge often only has an expected battery life of about 5 years. And these were using the nissan dealer quick charges which fully charge the car in 4 hours, I would imagine a full charge in 1 hour will do even more. But who knows maybe tesla found a way around this problem.

even the "crappiest" model is 140 miles per charge. 99% of people could daily that no problem and have room to breath. Yea, sure, you might need a gas car for your longer trips but I'm sure there are plenty of people who arnt taking 140 mile trips every weekend. And hey, a chevy cruze eco cost $20k and will get you like 45mpg on the highway.

even the "crappiest" model is 140 miles per charge. 99% of people could daily that no problem and have room to breath. Yea, sure, you might need a gas car for your longer trips but I'm sure there are plenty of people who arnt taking 140 mile trips every weekend. And hey, a chevy cruze eco cost $20k and will get you like 45mpg on the highway.

Exactly, so now you have to buy a 20k car if you want something to use for longer trips. And who the hell wants to take a long trips in a chevy cruze. Electrics make sense for those city type people who are not outdoorsey and stick to their routine I agree with that. But for those of us who go places futher than 150miles away from home and need a vehicle to use whenever we want it doesn't work. You can't force a consumer market to buy a product... just ask the federal government and their 50plus bankrupt "green" companies they have invested in.

I'd be looking at a Volt right now if it weren't for the fact that I don't have a garage to charge it in overnight.

Totally off topic on my part but you're in RSM now? That's where I live. Super small city it is.

Also if I could afford a Tesla I would get one despite the range.

There are definately some cars higher on my list than a tesla

I agree. But I suppose what I am saying is if I could afford one to be a "grocery getter" around town and have other fun cars that' would be great.

Curious if any of you have actually driven a Model S? I haven't, but it seems like everyone who has is pretty impressed with what Tesla has done to make it drive well.

I'm still trying to figure out why they think they can go to Vegas on a charge.

It's about 4-6 hours and ~280 miles one way.

Certainly a neat car, I hope the batteries get cheaper.

Think they can? Did you not watch the video? They DID drive it from LV to LA on one charge. ;)

It will certainly be interesting if they can continue producing impressive cars and if they can get their high speed charging network up nationwide.

With that kind of performance I'd consider getting one. Especially when prices come down a bit.

I still think question has to be asked of how long do these batteries last with quick charging. Almost all other charging stations or kits state there may be increased battery wear when using the quick charge stations. If a batteries expected life is only 5 years using quick charge then how long before the batteries just don't hold the charge for as long? Two or three years? Batteries don't just go out, they generally begin to fade before hand and not hold a charge as long.

Archived