LegacyGT.com

Subaru Hitch installed on GT Wagon

morrias

Ok, I finally went out and bought the Outback hitch and installed it on my LGT wagon. Basically, it mounts with 6 bolts to the frame underneath the car. There are 2 side supports for the hitch which cannot mount to the GT becuase we're missing an angle bracket that attaches to the frame and bumper. My neighbor has an Outback and I can see where the other 2 bolts attach, but there's no way we can even put that bracket on our cars becuase the bumpers are different. It does come with all the wiring and 2 gaskets for the mufflers (I took mine off to ease installation). The wiring is very professional and fits very nicely.

The fitment and installation was perfect, it's very stealth looking. As others have mentioned, on the GT, you'll need a different drawbar that has a 2 1/2 rise (the 3 1/4" drop version) to get the hitch to a safe height. After getting the drawbar from u-haul for $20, the ball now sits about 13" from the ground. This is the same height as my neighbor's truck/work trailer. I've attached pictures of the installed kit/bar/ball.

I haven't towed anything yet, but I plan to try out a trailer and a load of barkdust here pretty soon, and possibly a waverunner.

hitch1.jpg.023cbd7a05c30305530c550ce964cc34.jpg

hitch2.jpg.df1bfc5bcf87dce95aaafe7e016bf6c0.jpg

hitch3.jpg.e0f824e4ac9de8717d3cd97fc0f4bdec.jpg

hitch4.jpg.934c631ca579706679252fbeca0cba9b.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Morrias,

When you say that you bought the Outback hitch - from whom? Subaru or Hidden or someone else?

I have read all these threads and am just ready to buy and install.

Cheers!

Outback hitch = P/N: L101SAG000 available from any Subaru dealer.

Thanks for the info - I wonder if Morrias bought the Hidden Hitch Outback hitch or the Subaru Outback hitch. ;-) There seems to be a great deal of difference.

Outback hitch = P/N: L101SAG000 available from any Subaru dealer.

Thanks for the info - I wonder if Morrias bought the Hidden Hitch Outback hitch or the Subaru Outback hitch. ;-) There seems to be a great deal of difference.

That is what I am debating now.

Subaru Hitch vs. Hidden Hitch?

Which looks better? We need some pics.

Sorry for the delay. I bought the actual subaru outback hitch. From what I can tell, it mounts differently than the hidden hitch. The subaru one will attach to 6 of the mount points underneath using 14m screws all torqued to about 75 ft/lbs. The hidden hitch looks like it uses 4 of the factory points, and one more bolt/bracket to attach to the factory towing hook on the rear. I don't know if it makes much difference or not, but I feel a little safer with the factory config, and it's a perfect fit. It's also very stealth. If you want other angles, let me know, I'll snap some more.

A couple more questions.

Where did the wiring harness hook up to? I cannot seem to find it in my sedan, maybe the wagon is the only one with the plug-in for a harness.

I would love to have a pic from under the car, I am getting a performance exhaust from ION and he wants some pics to ensure that the hitch will not interfere with the new exhaust.

What difference asthetically did you notice between the Hidden hitch and the Suby one?

Thanks a lot.

The hitch in the pics at the start of this post is the Subaru hitch.

morrias - thanks for the update. It sounds like OEM is actually better in this case. I am going with a Subaru hitch. ;-) My first OEM mod.

Sorry for the delay. I bought the actual subaru outback hitch. From what I can tell, it mounts differently than the hidden hitch. The subaru one will attach to 6 of the mount points underneath using 14m screws all torqued to about 75 ft/lbs. The hidden hitch looks like it uses 4 of the factory points, and one more bolt/bracket to attach to the factory towing hook on the rear. I don't know if it makes much difference or not, but I feel a little safer with the factory config, and it's a perfect fit. It's also very stealth. If you want other angles, let me know, I'll snap some more.

smilielol5.gif.e116953312252c003b437171e505948b.gif

Archived