LegacyGT.com

Any of you have 2 kids?

I have a wrx wagon and I need to replace it with something larger.

I've been dead set on a Forester XT but they're crazy hard to find (as are 5spd LGT wagons).

I'm wondering how many of you guys have had to fit 2 car seats in the back of your wagon... and a dog?

How'd it work out. How's the space behind the seats for a rear facing seat. Etc.

Yup, rear-facing is tough in the LGT. On the other hand, the kids grow out of it in a couple of years :-)

Forward facing isn't bad. My kids are now almost 6 and 4, and no problems. We've had the LGT the whole time, and a Mazda3 for 2 years, and Grand Caravan for 4. The GC obviously holds the kids + tons of stuff better than the wagon, but the LGT ain't bad.

I've got an 2008 outback LL Bean and a 07 shrek b. both are daily drivers and both have two car seats. One facing forward and one facing the rear. I'm a mighty 5'8" and my wife is all of 5'. It's tight, but not a big deal. We travel 2 1/2 hrs each way with the family dog to a getaway every weekend in the summer - in the Outback. Everything fits. The next model year has a much better design for the rear seats and there's oodles more room.

We bought a used Yakima skybox that we slap on top of the outback and all is good. Highly recommend a good quality cargo box for travel ESP with kids. Look for a used one.

I have been using my wagon for since my kids were 3 and 6. Four years later it still works great for hauling them and our two springer spaniels. Rear facing sucks in almost every car but as long as one person is not tall it should be doable. My rear facing car seat days were pre-wagon when I still had my Evo. Which surprisingly was pretty decent for hauling kids.

For weekend trips I usually can get two carryon type bags in the back with the dogs, longer trips do require my Yakima Skybox.

I have been using my wagon for since my kids were 3 and 6. Four years later it still works great for hauling them and our two springer spaniels. Rear facing sucks in almost every car but as long as one person is not tall it should be doable. My rear facing car seat days were pre-wagon when I still had my Evo. Which surprisingly was pretty decent for hauling kids.

For weekend trips I usually can get two carryon type bags in the back with the dogs, longer trips do require my Yakima Skybox.

Yeah. We will use my wife's 2011 forester for our long trips but I'm thinking about getting a box for that. We fill it up easily when we go on trips and that's with just the 1 kid. We have a 2.5 year old and a 1.5 year old Golden Retriever.

I have a 2004 wrx wagon for my car. It's getting up there in mileage and I figured if I'm going to replace it, it should be with something a little bigger. So I've been thinking about 04-08 FXT's and 05 LGT wagons for a while now.

So just space for the wife, the kids, the dog and a small bag or 2 would be primo. Suitcases and what not are gonna be in the forester.

As for rear facing... yeah it's super tight but I'm lucky on that one. My wife is 5 feet tall.

• Moderators
I have a britax marathon rear facing that I just put in. It takes up quite a bit of room, but fits fine. I'm 5'8", so definitely not tall and don't really keep my seat back very far so I didn't have to make any adjustments.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have a britax marathon rear facing that I just put in. It takes up quite a bit of room, but fits fine. I'm 5'8", so definitely not tall and don't really keep my seat back very far so I didn't have to make any adjustments.

Yeah... I'm 5'10" and my wife is 5" 0" LOL!

I drove my buddies 05 LGT wagon a while back and fell in love with the way these cars go when they're set up right. Such a next level car compared to my wrx.

You guys with little wives... I'm 6'1", a few extra pounds, my wife is 5'9", average build.. Rear facing was a major challenge, even behind the passenger seat (and a complete no-go behind the driver seat). Much easier in her Mazda3.

You guys with little wives... I'm 6'1", a few extra pounds, my wife is 5'9", average build.. Rear facing was a major challenge, even behind the passenger seat (and a complete no-go behind the driver seat). Much easier in her Mazda3.

That's what trips me out. why not move the seats 6 inches farther back and have a little less storage. The hatch area of the LGT is HUGE!

That's what trips me out. why not move the seats 6 inches farther back and have a little less storage. The hatch area of the LGT is HUGE!

Exactly. We have a big "road trip" car (Grand Caravan). I know it doesn't work for everyone - some people really need a big trunk in their car - but I wish someone would offer a compact/mid-size car with way above average seating capacity but a tiny trunk. Would LOVE one of those as a 2nd car - our girls will be nearly 6 feet tall in 6-8 years.. Don't want to buy a luxury sedan just to get more rear legroom...

Archived