LegacyGT.com

DriveShaft swap between 05 and 08 LGT?

Last time I check a 2005-2009 is a 4th gen Legacy.

But what do I know...I don't even have 8000 post here yet.

05-09 may be considered to be one 'generation' but it isn't unusual for car manufacturers to put in a different part number for a car made towards the end of the generation as compared to one made at the beginning. An example of this is the air pump found on MY07+ Legacys... sure, the 05 is similar cosmetically but there are slight differences between the years.

As for the OP's question, I'm sorry to say that I don't know. If no one responds with any useful info on the forums (and assuming you've already done a search), I can think of three ways to find out...

a) Go to Fredbeanspart's website (or any similar site) and look at the parts catalog to see if there are any differences

b) Ask some of the vendors on here (e.g. m sprank @ IP&T)

c) Ask your dealership's parts department (that's what they're there for)

Good luck with your search, and keep us updated.

Are you looking for this below?

Here is the link: http://www.subarupartsforyou.com/cp_partdetail.php?partid=17994

Looks like same part number across the years, BUT they do ask for your VIN. So there may be some differences between the years within that gen.

Edit: you'll see that the part number ends with 2 Xs. That may mean that the part number differs slightly depending on the MY.

driveshaft.png.c6c258bc69b13a596df08ac61ad877bb.png

The difference is automatic or manual tanny's, (6 speed or 5 speed).

And yes, most of us know the 07-09's have the air pump. There are also other small differences, but that's not what he asked about.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The difference is automatic or manual tanny's, (6 speed or 5 speed).

And yes, most of us know the 07-09's have the air pump. There are also other small differences, but that's not what he asked about.

I was merely trying to give an example of how things don't stay the same within a model generation as you seemed to imply.

So one call to the dealership said that in 2006 SOA changed the part number (and part I presume).

This part apparently super-cedes the original Drive Shaft sold to me in 2005 on this car.

Maybe they noticed something weak on the 05 part... I have no idea

Archived