LegacyGT.com

Finally did spark plugs at 78k miles

I finally got around to changing my original spark plugs at 78k miles. I wasn't getting any CELs or noticeable hesitation during acceleration, but I figured, it was time since I was way past the service interval of 30k miles.

The job only took roughly 30 minutes. Not bad at all! I read through GEE-OTTO's tutorial here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2-5i-spark-plug-tutorial-117769.html?t=117769&highlight=spark+plug

I only needed the 5/8 spark plug socket, two 3" extensions, and my ratcheting wrench.

I took off the snorkel and airbox to gain access to the left side, and it was very easy from there. The battery side is a little tighter, but you do not have to remove a single thing. There is still plenty of room to fit the two 3" extensions and the wrench in there.

Here are what my plugs looked like at 78k miles. They are ordered on the paper towel the same way the engine is oriented when you look in from the front.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uzpxmj5cv7y6mgf/2012-11-03%2016.31.55-1.jpg

3 4

1 2

Cylinder 2 and 3's plugs don't look worn a single bit, but cylinder 1 and 4 have worn down quite a bit. Interesting.

Car is noticeably more peppy and responsive though, even though I said there was no noticeable hesitation before. I really question changing them every 30k miles though. That seems excessive considering these are laser platinum plugs.

:) I recently changed mine out and i didnt have my 3" extension......:eek: i tried for 30 mins to get at No 4 using a combo of 8 and 6 inch extension to no avail :lol: Had to run down to AutoZone and buy one.

Good to see you saving yourself $$$ buy performing this routine service yourself!

They recommend changing them every 30k because that's a safe estimate of the plugs effective lifespan. I know Dodge recommends every 30k as well. Don't some manufacturer's have longer service periods?

Camrys suggest you check them at 60K and change them at 90K or at least that is what the dealer told me:redface:

Archived