LegacyGT.com

EJ25 to EJ22 Swap in CA

I have a '97 2.5L LGT Manual with a seized engine. I plan on swapping it with an EJ22 from a '95 Legacy Auto.

I want to know if anyone has done this CA and had any problems with passing smog?

Thanks..

You will be swapping in an engine with an EGR system, so if anything, it should pass a smog inspection without a problem.

EJ22Es from 95-98 are plug & play.

Thanks... Another noob question, how can you tell what kind of engine it is (i.e. EJ22E, EJ22D, etc...)? I found a '95 Legacy engine on Car-Part.com and I want to make sure if it's an EJ22E.

Nope, you'll run into problem

motor swap rule: engine must be from the same year or newer than the chassis, regardless of make

of course, you'll have to keep all the smog equipment, and the engine has to be offered in US

this is also the reason why LS1 swap in a FC/FD is completely legal

Nope, you'll run into problem

motor swap rule: engine must be from the same year or newer than the chassis, regardless of make

of course, you'll have to keep all the smog equipment, and the engine has to be offered in US

this is also the reason why LS1 swap in a FC/FD is completely legal

Thanks for the heads up. I did more research and looked it up on the CA Air Resource Board and that is indeed the case. Same year or newer engine.

DAMN YOU CALIFORNIA!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Well there goes that idea.

Anyone know where I can get cheap rebuilt EJ25??? :( :(

but honestly, if it's not too flashy, no one will notice. Keep the smog equipment intact, you might be able to fly under the radar

That's a big if. I don't really want to invest the time, money and hassle only to find out that it won't pass the referee. Besides I never had good luck with smog checks. Oh well. Guess I'll go find another beater.

Why do you need to go to a referee? If you have to see a referee then don't do it but if you don't and just need to see a regular smog station then if it was me i'd do it. They do fly under the radar, they basically look the same. As long as it has all the sensors on it you should be fine and no check engine light. They just plug in the obd2 and do a idle/2500 test. Quick look and pass! Theres no timing to check and such.

FWIW my friend had a jdm gc8 engine on his gc impreza and he passed smog thru the regular smog station. He had it as stock as possible. This is in the stockton area

if you swap in the power steering lines out of a ej22 car when you swap the engine no one will be able to tell that a swap has been done. and there is almost no way to tell difference between the a 96 ej22 and a 97 ej22.

and if we can't tell, how the hell will a smog inspector be able to tell?

The 95 EJ22E engine that I picked up for my DOHC conversion was OBDII compliant & california emissions ready. It looks no different than a 96-98 22E. Swap your power steering stuff over & install it. There is virtually no way to tell the difference between 22Es by looking at them when they're out of the car with nothing attached to them. The differences are internal.

my 95 is OBD2 as well, but they refuse to scan it here in AZ. they made it run the full test. also, when i went back after replacing the gas cap and the evap canister, the tech apparently broke a vacuum line to the EGR while "inspecting" it. it passed, 2 miles down the road it popped a CeL. i took a look over the weekend and found the broken vacuum line that i know wasnt there before. jackass. at least he didnt fail me for it, hehe.

oh ya, i hate california. their gun and emissions laws are ridiculous. and their stars carrying pocket dogs.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to everyone for their inputs and suggestions. After mulling it over for quite some time, I've decided to go ahead with the swap. I've located a local dismantler that has both a '95 and a '96 2.2L. The '96 is from an Auto but they don't know about the '95. They both have around 100k miles, so it all depends on which engine is in better shape. Also if the '95 does not have an EGR port, then I will have to go with the other. I'm sorta leaning towards the '96, but again it all depends on which engine is in better shape.

Anyways.. What can I take from my engine that I can transfer over to the '96? I have recently replaced the water pump, oil pump, idler pulleys, and the tensioner. I am assuming they will fit? Does the '96 have a different belt tensioner pulley? Maybe I'll just wait until I take the engine home.

Anywho.. Thanks again everyone. I will probably be asking for more help and suggestions later...

What can I take from my engine that I can transfer over to the '96? I have recently replaced the water pump, oil pump, idler pulleys, and the tensioner. I am assuming they will fit? Does the '96 have a different belt tensioner pulley?

assuming your car is a 97 GT, all of the above will swap.

go with the 95 if it has EGr, the 96 will require the exhaust y-pipe since the exhaust ports in the head are different thant your ej25 engine.

about the swap:

use the AC compressor and bracket that is on the car now. unbolt it from the engine but do not disconnect the aAC hoses. just flop it out of the way during the r&r.

use the flex plate from your car. it must match the trans in the car.

if available, use the power steering lines that were on the ej22 car. the install will look factory.

i would replace the timing belt, all the front seals and the oil pump seal before the install.

also a new metal oil separator plate on the rear of the block if yours is plastic.

use the plastic intake that came with your car.

use the computer that came with your car.

good luck.

Thanks for the tips Johnegg. Question with the flexpate. Can I just transfer my whole clutch assembly (flywheel, clutch disk, pressure plate, idler bearing, etc..) over to the 2.2? Is the flexpate the pressure plate? Oh does it matter if I have a manual and the other is Auto?

• 2 weeks later...
So I got the EJ22 home and looking at it, I feel like I should just take the whole intake manifold assembly from my EJ25 and swap it over. Will this work? Will it be bolt on with out any other modifications?

So I got the EJ22 home and looking at it, I feel like I should just take the whole intake manifold assembly from my EJ25 and swap it over. Will this work? Will it be bolt on with out any other modifications?

The intake manifolds are not interchangeable.

That engine should just drop in & go.

You can use the 25D wiring harness but you must swap over the knock sensor in order to do so.

The knock sensors for DOHC & SOHC have different connector ends.

Keep the 22E as is, drop it in, & go (assuming you have a dual port 22E).

The intake manifolds are not interchangeable.

That engine should just drop in & go.

You can use the 25D wiring harness but you must swap over the knock sensor in order to do so.

The knock sensors for DOHC & SOHC have different connector ends.

Keep the 22E as is, drop it in, & go (assuming you have a dual port 22E).

Alright thanks. Can I swap over the fuel injectors and the metal fuel lines? One of the fuel line is snapped.

Archived