LegacyGT.com

Possible Throwout bearing problem?

Nick LGT

I have suspicions to believe that the throwout bearing is starting to go... The squealing occurs when I am not pushing the clutch down, Whenever i push the clutch in, the sound goes away. The clutch, flywheel, pressure plate and throwout bearing was replaced within the last 10k miles... any signs i should be looking out for? Maybe Im just being really anal but I HATE that sound!

I away's thought the tob doesn't go anything until you step on the pedal.

If you push it in and it makes noise, then its a bad tob.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

this is how i found out mine was bad,

easy way to tell is when you in a drive thru, sound bounces right off the walls! thats how i found out mine was going :rolleyes:

Not always true. One of mine would squeel when not engaged, and became quiet after engagement. Then a week later the TOB blew up.

My wife's balls are delicious.

Not always true. One of mine would squeel when not engaged, and became quiet after engagement. Then a week later the TOB blew up.

My exact experience. My OEM one was making noise while not engaged and once I would touch clutch pedal it would go quiet for some time. When we took it out it would squeal like a pig just turning it quick.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 249K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 272K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Does the TOB failing sound similar to belt noise? I had my belts replaced last week, the tech said TOB was starting to make noise. Sounds like belt noise, appears especially when car is cold, mostly when creeping in first gear. Mostly goes away when clutch is depressed, but not always.

Thanks.

Sometime it does start off sounding like a belt, but then it turns into a metal squeel. If pressing in/out of the clutch makes the sound quiet, more than likely it's the TOB starting to go.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Archived