LegacyGT.com

Drag Racing Wheels

chucktoo

I am looking for really wide wheels for drag racing to go on an OBXT.

The largest reasonable ones I have found so far are Gram Lights 57x 18x9.5 - it is not clear what offsets are offered in 5x100 bolt pattern . In 5x114.3 there appears to be +12 ,+22,+30, +38mm.

It looks like +30mm would be the best choice - in a previous thread +28-30mm looked like the choice for 10" wide rims. I have yet to find 10" wide rims.

I have enough clearance between tires and wheel well lip I may not even have to roll it to make really wide tires fit. This is strictly for occasional drag racing not daily driving.

Other suggestions for wheels ?

These are the tires I am thinking about - other suggestions ?

http://www.bfgoodrichtires.com/assets/pdf/gforce_ta_drag_radial.pdf

Thanks for leads still sounds like Gram Lights for $300 are best bet - will call Tire Rack tomorrow about offsets.

My drive train is STi 6mt and R-180 rear end - I only know of one person who has broken one dragging - a 700 whp plus STi from PR. I will have less than that but more than 500 whp.

Wow you’re not kidding around. I would go with the smallest rim height wise you can “17” it will drop the wait slightly and allow you to run more rubber so you can run lower pressure and get a larger foot print, and or actually give you more toque buy lowering your final drive ratio. I would also go with some Mickey Thompson ET Drag Slicks if this set is really just for the strip?

The only issue is if 17s will clear my StopTech brakes, we will check that with stock wheels when the brakes go on this week with the rest of the 6 mt drivetrain.

After looking arround and getting some feedabck the I am thinking about Yokohama Adava A048 as an alternaitve - sounds like almost as stickie a Drag Radials but can be use for other sporting "play" applications and still be "Street Legal". I think Keefe has a set of these in 225/40/18s , I am looking at 265/35/18s .

No seriuos racing for me just play . A wagon will never be a serious racer and I am not a good enough driver even after having spent a bunch of time at Skip Barber this Summer. The lap times tell don't even think about racing except for play.

http://www.yokohamatire.com/advan/default.asp

This will be interesting called Tire Rack about Gram Lights - the 18x9.5 in 5x100 does not exist in their internal system. It does exist on their web page - it does not exist on Rays web page.

I ordered 1 wheel and tire on line to see if it is real.

Other suggestions for wide 18 in wheels ?

Has anyone run across a 5x100 to 5x114.3 spacer/hub adapter ?

There are a lot of wheels in 5x114.3 .

We looked at converting to 2005 STi hub which are 5x114.3 . The front is easy the rear is more difficult since you have to change the brake mounting and I bought Stoptech for existing mounting - i guess they could go back to Stoptech and be change to STi mounts ?

This will be interesting called Tire Rack about Gram Lights - the 18x9.5 in 5x100 does not exist in their internal system. It does exist on their web page - it does not exist on Rays web page.

I had a felling that was a typo on there web sight…

Has anyone run across a 5x100 to 5x114.3 spacer/hub adapter ?.

Not that i have seen: any machine shops around you?

We looked at converting to 2005 STi hub which are 5x114.3 . The front is easy the rear is more difficult since you have to change the brake mounting and I bought Stoptech for existing mounting - i guess they could go back to Stoptech and be change to STi mounts ?

I bet changing the mount is a simple swap for the Stoptechs but changing hub cant be cheep. Having some spacers made by a local machine shop or having some custom wheels made, may be the best way to go? But then again, if cost is not an issue for you or you can get them cheep. Having the STI hubs may be better with the kind of power you will be sending there way?

Did find another solution that is real.

Axis Reverb in 18x9.5 with 5x100 bolt pattern - the offset is 40 mm.

http://www.axiswheels.com/wheels/reverb/reverb.html

These are real and in stock .

If I did the math right a 20 or 25 mm would work ?

9.5" - 7" = 2.5" width difference / 2 = 1.25" or ~32mm 48mm offset stock - 32mm = 16 mm

40 mm - 16mm = 24 mm spacer ? Forperfromance is real - easier than machining ?

The 5x100 25mm spacers are real .

I will wait to see if the tire rack goes through before ordering Axis.

Thanks for the suggestions,

Someone should make a hub adapter .

Archived