LegacyGT.com

Focus ST

I test drove an ST2 the other night. I'm impressed... it's a very nice package. The power is very smooth, and there's little indication it's a turbo motor. Just smoothly building power, much like the LGT, but smoother. The suspension is much better than our '05 LGT was stock, firmer and better controlled.

Lots of feature content, though I didn't really have the time to sit and figure everything out. I'm mixed on the Recaros. I like a snug, supportive seat, but I'm not sure these would be comfortable for longer trips. They are very narrow through the rib cage... The sound 'wizardry' gives a nice growl inside, without being intrusive. I did feel a little squirming of the wheel under full throttle in the lower gears on a curving on-ramp. Not totally sure what's torque steer compensation, and what's traction control...

I like the Tangerine color, but still need to see it in daylight... looks great at night. I don't care for the wheels, they're a little busy.

I also don't care for the way they've set up the option packaging on this car. Essentially, if you want any options, you have to have the Recaros, which bump the price by $2300 for cloth. If you want them heated, you have to have the leather, which means another $2200. If you want HIDs, you've got to buy the top ST3 package. So essentially, consider it a $29k car if you want a few options... I would prefer an 'a la carte' option list.

Still looking at it seriously, but if we decide we don't like the Recaros, it will probably mean we won't buy one, as we'll be unable to get several options we would like to have.

If it were awd I'd be looking closely.

I wish ford would do the new fusion in an awd wagon with Ecoboost in the states, THAT would be badass

But they would never put a serious awd system in it. It would be a front bias'd system just like in the taurus SHO and it probably would probably suck, like the taurus SHO.

I really like ford, but they have not quite made a car that I would consider a DD i could live with as my only car. When I buy a house and can afford a 2nd fun car, a used 5.0 would interest me.

Archived