LegacyGT.com

2006 Subaru Impreza WRX

Well, we could wait...

.. but that would defeat the purpose of a car forum, so car dorks can discuss "possibilities" :lol:

Anyway, I personally think this is the best WRX that we have seen as far as looks is concerned. This is of course coming from an 02 WRX owner ;)

Well, I'm a former 02 WRX owner too (but not a car dork ;) ) and I like the looks of the 06 too...BUT...I'll just reserve judgment until the data rolls in.

But...please, discuss possibilities....and I'll continue to read....

Cheers,

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

Sorry fellas, the WRX will be faster than our Legacys... no doubt about it in my mind. Also, the weight gain is pitter patter especial considering that the GT is fatter anyways. Also, the FXT 2.5 turbo has 11.5 lbs of boost while the WRX 2.5 turbo has 13.5 lbs (same as the GT; I would bet that the WRX has more liek 250HP/250TQ like the GT but is rated lower for marketing).

Go to www.media.subaru.com and check the specs for the FXT, GT and WRX. You will see that the WRX carries the advantage in all ways (except perhaps style ;)). The WRX will be the second fastest car in the SOA lineup.. also.. the BRAKES ARE VERY NICE on the new WRX.

One more thing, the WRX also doesn't get that cheese-ball fake wood trim with the ivory interior that the GT does. It's a good thing.

The WRX is running the same boost as the LGT but with a slightly smaller turbo.

It should be close, but I think the new WRX will edge the LGT by a tenth or two just like the LGT did to the original WRX when it was released.

Sorry fellas, the WRX will be faster than our Legacys... no doubt about it in my mind. Also, the weight gain is pitter patter especial considering that the GT is fatter anyways. Also, the FXT 2.5 turbo has 11.5 lbs of boost while the WRX 2.5 turbo has 13.5 lbs (same as the GT; I would bet that the WRX has more liek 250HP/250TQ like the GT but is rated lower for marketing).

Go to www.media.subaru.com and check the specs for the FXT, GT and WRX. You will see that the WRX carries the advantage in all ways (except perhaps style ;)). The WRX will be the second fastest car in the SOA lineup.. also.. the BRAKES ARE VERY NICE on the new WRX.

One more thing, the WRX also doesn't get that cheese-ball fake wood trim with the ivory interior that the GT does. It's a good thing.

Good to see you back Dr. Z, hope all is well. ^^ sounds about right.

When we start arguing about a .1 it doesn't really matter. It is all up to driver then. They will have basically the same motor and the same potential. What you get with the legacy is a better looking much nicer car with only 100lbs more weight. Plus the legacy has a better rear suspension design, bigger brakes, better final drive ratio, and aerodynamicds.

Iwanna....

there's more to the engine than just mm increases in pistons and such.

Keep in mind, it's a whole different turbo now, a whole different intercooler,

a completely different intake system..etc etc etc.

Rest assured of the 107 pound weight increase...70 or more of them

is the new engine up front.

Dr. Zevil, you are forgetting one thing about the speed.

The WRX is geared higher than the LGT and especially the FXT.

The FXT has a different turbo and only 11.5 psi, BUT it has a 4.44:1 final drive

ratio. And it's smaller, lighter 16" wheels...that makes up for the fact it's

20 hp difference. Out of the gate the FXT is right with the LGT, but as you

get into the upper range of 3rd gear the LGT pulls away because of the increase

in horsepower and better aerodynamics.

It's true the new WRX will probably be putting down slightly more hp than the

230 they are marketing it at...probably closer to the LGT's.

And since the 06 WRX gained 107 pounds in base form, it's now only about 100 or so pounds lighter than an LGT. BUT, it has much taller gearing...3.70:1 final drive compared to the LGT's 4.11:1

Plus the WRX has worse aerodynamics.

As I've said before, it will surely be a bit quicker than the 02-05 and probably within

a tick of the LGT in the 1/4 mile, BUT I'll bet it'll have slower traps and as you get into triple digit speeds it will fall back even more.

I have been reading a lot of NASIOC where there have been people that have inspected the new WRX and claim that the engine is the same as the FXT.. I don't remember anything about the turbo though... but..

If eles1 is right and the WRX is going to run a smaller turbo, then that would mean even less lag... :D :D :D :D

Obviously I am going to wait for some numbers, but I can't help but think that this is going to be a little rocket.

GUMBY!! Thanks bud. It's good to be back!

Iwanna....

there's more to the engine than just mm increases in pistons and such.

Keep in mind, it's a whole different turbo now

I don't think the turbo is any different. Last I heard, the 2.5 WRX was going to be running the TD04 (same as the 2.0 WRX and the 2.5 FXT). I believe the TD04 is slightly smaller than the VF40 used in the LGT/OBXT.

By the way, I hear that the new Skyline is coming in 2007 - I would think that would fuel more speculation about a Legacy STi in 2007 to compete. After all, Subaru can't let Nissan grab all the headlines! SOA made sure to make the Impreza STi more potent than the Evo when it came over, so I would hope they'll keep pace with the Skyline too.

Food for thought....

SOA made sure to make the Impreza STi more potent than the Evo

More horsepower? Yes.

More potent? No.

One thing's for sure, if I were in the market for an all wheel drive sedan today, I would definitely check out the 2006 WRX before buying anything.

You said it there bud. The new WRX has just jumped to the front of our list.. of course depending on what the spec b does for me ;)

The Spec B will be a nice ride, but I would bet that the new Rex will handle at least as well if not better - not to mention the price difference.

• 3 weeks later...

^^^ Check your local Scooby dealership lots. They're already on the pavement nationwide.

:D

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw several 2006 Impreza's at my local (Leesburg, VA) dealer. They have a few STI's, a base Impreza, and a WRX Wagon (no sedans yet). I actually like the styling and think it's the best of the front-ends Subaru has introduced on that model. I love the new WRX wheels and wish they'd stick them on the LGT.

My only heart-burn is the price. The WRX Limited sedan is basically the same as an LGT and only $2K less than an LGT Limited. I guess I'd have to drive the 2006 WRX to see if it's worth the money when compared to the LGT which, IMO, is better looking and more refined (not to mention bigger).

Has an LGT owner driven one yet to compare?

Archived