LegacyGT.com

COBB AccessPort Question

This doesn't require BAC5.2 levels of knowledge to straighten out. bigjweb, you're confusing cruising and coasting. You are not in boost when coasting (foot off the accelerator pedal). If you are cruising, you may be in boost depending on speed and incline.

But I love the way that Bac breaks down noobs. So clean and precisely. :cool:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How good of a great deal and from where? If I may ask ;). I'm trying to find a "great deal" so I can appease my wife.

Me 2. Well not the wife part, but I want the valet mode portion so when I drop it off for the alignment (do so quite often as it is the only thing I don't do to the car myself) I can know that those guys are not destroying my car while I am not looking.

You guys can think what you want. Generally when cruising on the highway, you are not in boost. Next time you take a drive, check it out. I said it before and i'll say it again, turbos only make boost when they are under load. Of course when you go up a steep hill the car is placed under enough load to create some boost if you push the accelerator further down to maintain the same speed. The fact that some of you guys are asking for another member to straighten me out shows that you do not possess enough knowledge to speak up on the issue. And fyi, BAC is not always an expert on every issue he speaks on.

• I Donated
You guys can think what you want. Generally when cruising on the highway, you are not in boost. Next time you take a drive, check it out. I said it before and i'll say it again, turbos only make boost when they are under load. the fact that you guys are asking for another member to straighten me out shows that you do not possess enough knowledge to speak up on the issue.

I have a boost gauge in my car. I have seen it go into boost while I had cruise control on. Nuff said.

Your an idiot sir. Just because you have the cruise control on doesn't mean that the car isn't going under load at some point. When you use cruise control the car does what ever possible to maintain a constant speed. Try reading the posts a little more clearly

You do not make any boost when cruising (maintaining a steady speed) on the highway. The engine will be under vacuum until you begin to accelerate

Your an idiot sir. Just because you have the cruise control on doesn't mean that the car isn't going under load at some point. When you use cruise control the car does what ever possible to maintain a constant speed. Try reading the posts a little more clearly

You don't see how you're saying two different things here?

The amount of power required to maintain speed goes up a lot as you go faster. There's no arguing that. At some point in time, you have to apply enough throttle that you will generate boost.

It really starts getting to that point when you go at or above 80MPH.... up a hill, heavy load in the trunk, you're overweight, you have fat passengers, you have a headwind, etc.

Even without those factors you still have to overcome friction, wind resistance, etc. no matter what and it becomes harder and harder to overcome as the speed you're trying to maintain increases.

The first statement was very generalized. Perhaps the use of the word accelerate was a poor choice on my part. In that sense by accelerate I meant to increase the throttle (place the car under load) to maintain the constant speed, not to make the car go faster.

• I Donated
The first statement was very generalized. Perhaps the use of the word accelerate was a poor choice on my part. In that sense by accelerate I meant to increase the throttle (place the car under load) to maintain the constant speed, not to make the car go faster.

Here's what you said (emphasis mine):

You do not make any boost when cruising (maintaining a steady speed) on the highway. The engine will be under vacuum until you begin to accelerate

You generally have to vary the accelerator position to maintain a constant speed unless the highway is totally flat. And at least around here, totally flat highways do not exist.

When are you going to admit you were wrong?

Here's what you said (emphasis mine):

You generally have to vary the accelerator position to maintain a constant speed unless the highway is totally flat. And at least around here, totally flat highways do not exist.

When are you going to admit you were wrong?

Admit I was wrong for a poor choice of words? Guilty. But as fas as trying to state that a turbo doesn't create boost unless under load. I was never wrong in that sense. Going back to the original dispute with Invar, he was saying that cruising at 80 puts the engine under enough load to always create boost. I disagree

• I Donated
Admit I was wrong for a poor choice of words? Guilty. But as fas as trying to state that a turbo doesn't create boost unless under load. I was never wrong in that sense.

It's more than a poor choice of words. You said something completely different and you're now trying to say that's not what you meant.

But hey, at least you admit that the thing you said in the first place was wrong... :lol:

You do not make any boost when cruising (maintaining a steady speed) on the highway. The engine will be under vacuum until you begin to accelerate or the engine load increases to maintain that steady speed

Is that more to your liking? Leaving my original statement, I added the bold words to correct the original statement so you guys quit crying

Admit I was wrong for a poor choice of words? Guilty. But as fas as trying to state that a turbo doesn't create boost unless under load. I was never wrong in that sense. Going back to the original dispute with Invar, he was saying that cruising at 80 puts the engine under enough load to always create boost. I disagree

Wouldn't it have been easier and much more correct to just say, "You don't create enough load at cruising doing 80 MPH to generate boost" as opposed to what you said? Which basically says that you never create boost at cruising unless accelerating?

Because then I would've just said, "I think you're right. At 80 there isn't enough load yet but maybe by 85-90 you'd have enough..."

Sheesh.

Anyway, when I get a chance I'll datalog cruising at 80, 85 and 90 and see how it is.

Again, I want to remind you that even though the gauge reads vacuum, the turbo can still be generating boost pressure. If your engine's pulling -5 PSI of vacuum, and your turbo is generating 3 PSI, your gauge will read -2 PSI vacuum. That doesn't mean you're not boosting.

Get a full vent to air BOV and you'll hear it vent during throttle off even with the gauge reading vacuum.

• 2 weeks later...

Did the stage1 ACN. I noticed a good improvement on pull. seems the waste gate opens up sooner with less throttle input. MPG appears to be affected beyond 75mph.

How can you load multiple maps and easily switch between them? The notion of unplugging and re-plugging of the green connectors sort of wastes any 'flexibility' the system has.

Thoughts?

Archived