LegacyGT.com

Lexus IS250 awd or Benz GLK

The GLK and the C-Class do share the same chassis. We're only just starting to see the C's go out of warranty (08 being the first year for the W204). From what I remember, we've done transmissions and torque converters more than I'd like to see. Plus the transfer case is part of the trans so it's all or nothing. All of those have been warranty, though, but still. Some have some brake issues but there are TSB's on that. Otherwise, nothing horrendous, really. I still vote Fusion. Ford has come light years since it's late 80's Taurus days. Especially in the last 2-4 years.

Drove a 2013 C300 4matic yesterday with all the options. Very, very nice. The wife is dead set on getting one of those now, if we can get a 2011-2012 with nav and the panoramic sunroof, that is...

How good do you feel the MB certification program is? Any issues with the panoramic sunroofs leaking/sticking?

The new(er) cars don't seem to leak really. The SL/SLK seem to rarely leak but that's about it. Now and then we'll see a track issue but again, rare. Actually, more common on the ML/R-Class than anything else. And a CPO car is the way to go. The CPO program used to really kick ass for the customer but that took away some of the more expensive items. Again, a bigger worry on a CL/S/SL than a C-Class. I would get them to explain what all it covers vs what it does not cover and if you feel you want more, most places should offer an extended warranty on top of that to protect against what's missing. Also, get a maintenance history on the car. Not just a Carfox. All of our cars going to CPO get an oil change, all new filters, most get the trans serviced if mileage or age is due, a lot get tires and/or brakes and every one gets the most recent reflashes to whatever control units are up.

I have a back up camera on my Tundra, and on a vehicle that large it is a really nice feature to have. Plus backing up perfectly to a hitch is awesome.

I bet. I remember spending a great amount of time when I was younger helping my dad line up the hitch between our RAM van and travel trailer. :lol:

Thank God, I was watching what could have been a train wreck. No one should convince you to buy anything other than the MB's. I've owned too many and have had no issues except for way back on my 1998 ML 320 we bought new. Even then who cares, so you drive to the dealer and spend all of 15min (yep, that's all at Anaheim MB) slipping into a nice loaner.

I enjoyed the warranty experience. They greeted me by name when I pulled up (they notice your plate and review the appt. roster). They walk me to the service writer. I talk, they listen... Never an argument over any service (I mean I once told them there was a squeak in the dash. They said nothing and wrote it down. I picked it up and the paperwork said dash was replaced). I then am brought my paperwork followed by a walk out to my loaner that is running with the drivers door open. It's easy to get attached to good service.

I realize you are looking at buying and keeping for a while but keeping your wife happy is most important followed by an extended warranty and taking good care of it.

She'll love the C and GLK, C is their most polished model for certain because it was/is and will be what they sell most of. Nice car for sure. I wouldn't discount the GLK for the added utility (nice to ride up higher than the sedan and a smidge more roomy).

Good luck my friend,

Drove a 2013 C300 4matic yesterday with all the options. Very, very nice. The wife is dead set on getting one of those now, if we can get a 2011-2012 with nav and the panoramic sunroof, that is...

How good do you feel the MB certification program is? Any issues with the panoramic sunroofs leaking/sticking?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1586"VbGallery/URL]

Thank God, I was watching what could have been a train wreck. No one should convince you to buy anything other than the MB's. I've owned too many and have had no issues except for way back on my 1998 ML 320 we bought new. Even then who cares, so you drive to the dealer and spend all of 15min (yep, that's all at Anaheim MB) slipping into a nice loaner.

I enjoyed the warranty experience. They greeted me by name when I pulled up (they notice your plate and review the appt. roster). They walk me to the service writer. I talk, they listen... Never an argument over any service (I mean I once told them there was a squeak in the dash. They said nothing and wrote it down. I picked it up and the paperwork said dash was replaced). I then am brought my paperwork followed by a walk out to my loaner that is running with the drivers door open. It's easy to get attached to good service.

I realize you are looking at buying and keeping for a while but keeping your wife happy is most important followed by an extended warranty and taking good care of it.

She'll love the C and GLK, C is their most polished model for certain because it was/is and will be what they sell most of. Nice car for sure. I wouldn't discount the GLK for the added utility (nice to ride up higher than the sedan and a smidge more roomy).

Good luck my friend,

Thanks!

All that service stuff is good to hear. We've been combing the entire Northwest region for a certified (or new at the right price) '12 C300 4matic with nav, backup cam, and xenons, but they seem to be VERY rare. Forget about the panorama sunroof. They don't exist with those other options unless the car is special ordered. Hell, even xenons are damn rare on these things! I refuse to buy a $40k+ car that doesn't have xenons though. If it at least had projector headlights, I could do a cheap TRS retrofit and call it good, but MB puts reflector housings in all the non-lighting package '12-13 models now!

Still looking at the IS250's though. Might be getting a new '12 with every option for less than most certified '11's. We'll see how it goes with tomorrow being the last day of the month, when dealers will do nearly anything to get rid of the old models.

We both really want the benz, though.

Why not look into an IS350 too?

They only became available with AWD in 2011 or 2012, and are even more rare than the AWD 250 models.

Besides, we don't need the added cost, power, or worse fuel economy. 100 more HP would be nice for me, but it's her car.

Considered them, but they already are looking a bit old to me. Sat in a G25x and wasn't impressed with the interior. My sister had a '09 G37x and the leather started wearing really quickly, so I was a bit wary of them before I even looked. Sad, since they have all the options the IS has.

Yeah the G is getting a bit dated, and so is the IS. Both are due for redesigns in the next year or so, and either one could be my next car depending on what they come up with.

Oh, I definitely agree. The IS just seems to have aged better.

LED drl's don't hurt, either.

It's a horrible night time cell phone pic anyway. I'll post a good one up once I see it for the first time in the daylight myself!

It's a new '12 C300 4matic with the lighting, premium 1, multimedia, and sport packages. Only one left in the Northwest region.

Archived