LegacyGT.com

Lexus IS250 awd or Benz GLK

My wife recently got into an accident with her '10 IS250, and it's likely totalled. We are looking for another '10-11 IS, but they are pretty tough to find with the back up camera and nav options that her last one had. That led us on a search for something with similar options that was near the $30-35k range, and she really likes the styling of the '10-11 MB GLK.

My fear is that the reliability of Mercedes vehicles pales in comparison to a lexus product, so I'm wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with the GLK models.

We are also loosely considering the c300 4matic, new ford fusion, and chevy volt, but she really wants AWD, luxury, back up camera/nav, and/or park assist. Warranty is a must.

I have no experience with new mercs but if you are looking at the ford fusion and the price range is 30k or so look at a lincoln MKZ. They have a AWD option, the v6 or the hybrid can both be found for 30-35k with 10k or less miles.

Nav and backup cameras are easily acquired aftermarket options. If she really loved her IS there's no reason not to get another one because it's missing some things available at Car Toys. Good luck with your search.

If you had an idea how many accidents come across my desk where drivers say "was not in my backup camera", you'd try to talk your wife out of getting/relying on one ;)

On a Suburban yes, on an IS she should stay in the kitchen.

What I am saying is stick with the IS as much as you can. Inquire as to maintenance costs for MB and you will see why ;)

Nav and backup cameras are easily acquired aftermarket options. If she really loved her IS there's no reason not to get another one because it's missing some things available at Car Toys. Good luck with your search.

Not really too keen on any of the aftermarket stuff out there. Just looks out of place having an extra screen, or an in dash unit that doesnt work with the steering wheel controls.

If you had an idea how many accidents come across my desk where drivers say "was not in my backup camera", you'd try to talk your wife out of getting/relying on one ;)

On a Suburban yes, on an IS she should stay in the kitchen.

What I am saying is stick with the IS as much as you can. Inquire as to maintenance costs for MB and you will see why ;)

She only uses the camera to get closer to cars and curbs when parking, not during the other 90% of backing up. When she feels she may be close to what is behjnd her, she uses the camera to back in another foot or so. It's a convenience item; we're not all mindless, video-screen-addicted idiots.

I work with a guy who has a 2008 GL he bought used a few years ago and a newer E class he purchased new, and he swears by these cars and claims he never has issues.

How unreliable is a stock, base Audi A4 Quattro? I can't speak to its reliability, but could that be an option as well?

She loves the styling of them and would buy one in a heartbeat if it weren't for all the electrical issues that plague them. They're almost always ranked among the lowest in consumer reports' reliability categories. That, and you rarely see any older ones around us, where there are 70's and 80's bmw/benz cars all over the place. That says something about their longevity.

If she just wanted it for 3-4 years, we'd look into them, but she wants to keep this for 10+.

Lexus or Benz?

http://cdn.smallscreenscoop.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/white-people-problems.jpg

:lol:

Who said I was white???

My suggestion is to get another IS250, as far as the nav and back up camera areal audio shop can integrate it so that you would think it came so. Also if you really need factory, then buy the oem unit and have it installed before delivery...
2010 2.5GT limited is for sale. :)

What insurance company do you work for fishbone?

I'll never admit it in public since I want to keep talking about insurance stuff. You know the whole "I don't speak for my employer" thing

Brother TRS I hope you know I was just kidding around. The way she uses the cam makes sense and I'd use it in the same capacity if I had one. While I know nothing of the model MB you ask, all I know is that when my sis was in the market for such a sedan, she opted for the IS due to better reliability and cheaper to service. If that's not an issue for you, I guess it's all personal preference.

The IS is damn nice.

Brother TRS I hope you know I was just kidding around. The way she uses the cam makes sense and I'd use it in the same capacity if I had one. While I know nothing of the model MB you ask, all I know is that when my sis was in the market for such a sedan, she opted for the IS due to better reliability and cheaper to service. If that's not an issue for you, I guess it's all personal preference.

The IS is damn nice.

You got me! I just get a bit defensive anymore when people criticize the backup camera thing. Everyone I talk to seems to be convinced that the screen is all she watches once its in reverse.

Maintenance and reliability are probably the biggest things, and I know the Lexus will be better in those areas, but if the MB isn't too far behind, we won't mind. We just don't want something that's always in the shop.

Would it be possible to get an OEM Nav/Backup camera setup and just swap them?

There are quite a few IS250/350s on the road now, I'd imagine you could probably find a Nav setup on eBay and have someone install it.

That's an option, but I'd rather spend more time looking than mess with wiring and someone's used setup.

why not shop her a spec b

rwd or awd

AWD. And not looking for a manual, or a subaru. I've moved on...

The GLK isn't bad but the C-Class is better. It's been around longer so the goofy things have been mostly worked out by now. But I vote Fusion above both of them.

And FYI, I work for MB.:lol:

I thought the GLK was basically a C class they stretched out. Are there any big reoccuring issues with either MB? Particularly ones that happen out of warranty?

The fusion is tempting, but I get the feeling it will be like the taurus of the late 80's -- hottest thing out there when they came out, then a few years later, they are just another POS on the side of the road.

the only reason I'm posting here is A. I know trs & 2. my wife has a backup camera.

obviously I don't know your wife's situation, but, my wife is all about work. she is on her crackberry 120% of the time & has become accustomed to using be backup camera to pull out of our driveway in a residential area. I would prefer this optoin were not available for cars because now she just doesn't look...& recently almost ran over a nanny & her 3 kids.

I thought the GLK was basically a C class they stretched out. Are there any big reoccuring issues with either MB? Particularly ones that happen out of warranty?

The fusion is tempting, but I get the feeling it will be like the taurus of the late 80's -- hottest thing out there when they came out, then a few years later, they are just another POS on the side of the road.

The GLK and the C-Class do share the same chassis. We're only just starting to see the C's go out of warranty (08 being the first year for the W204). From what I remember, we've done transmissions and torque converters more than I'd like to see. Plus the transfer case is part of the trans so it's all or nothing. All of those have been warranty, though, but still. Some have some brake issues but there are TSB's on that. Otherwise, nothing horrendous, really. I still vote Fusion. Ford has come light years since it's late 80's Taurus days. Especially in the last 2-4 years.

^^^ Thanks for the MB info.

Sat in a 2013 fusion today and I strongly doubt we'll be buying one. Although they didn't have the loaded titanium model that we were looking for, sitting in some comparibly optioned Escape and Focus models pretty much sealed the deal. The leather feels hard as a rock, the dash is cool, but more high-tech than high-quality, and all the shiny plastic inside just looks and feels terrible.

I wouldn't mind one for my commuter car or something (I drive a damn Mazda 3!) but no way would I spend $35k+ for one.

FWIW, the '11 GLK overall reliability looks reasonable according to Consumer Reports.

Looks like they fixed some of the '10 GLK issues in a couple of categories:

- Body Hardware (not sure what is included) (Worse rating in '10 to just above avg)

- Audio system (from below avg to avg)

Power Equipment and Audio system fare only avg in '11 (could be a problem out of warranty).

Archived