LegacyGT.com

Where do the 13 speakers in the McIntosh setup go?

Deer Killer

When I test drove it was obvious almost no treble was coming from the rear door speakers, and it would be nice to replace it with a component system, however I didn't find a stock location to put them in (unlike the fronts). Does anyone have any info/pics of where the McIntosh speakers are installed? It would be nice to get the stock-look grills if they go in a good place. It would be odd for them to use multi-way speakers, i.e. two way fronts with component tweeter and three-way way rears with a sub = 13 speakers I'd think it would be more like front components, rear door components, rear deck components, plus a sub = 13 speakers Also it would be nice to know if the McIntosh has a stock amplifier area under the dash that would be useful for an aftermarket setup. I haven't been very successful in finding forums for the Japan/Australia/European market. My searches usually lead me to the old style legacy info. Since the car's been out for a year already in those markets I'd think there would be some information from owners who mod their cars.

• 2 weeks later...
OK, so it looks like: 2 tweeters per side, Dash or door, or both? 1 Midbass, and one midrange per front door 1 Midbass/tweeter coaxial per rear door - 2 way (so they count it as 4 speakers... Cheaters! :D ) 1 sub in the rear and an amp under the rear seat somewhere... Anybody had the doors apart, to see where all this stuff fits? I would think the holes would be there, in the stamping of the doors... This looks like a nice system to re-create with an amp and some infiniti, Audiobahn, or Boston Acoustics component speaker sets. I know line level inputs tend to be better for amps, but I might even be tempted to add such an amplified system to the speaker leads of the stock MP3 head unit from a OB VDC, which hopefully shows up on the legacy options list soon. Then the only thing to add would be an auxiliary input for XM/Sirius and an iPod... Something better quality than an FM modulator.... That would be a trick...

Have to agree IWSS that a set of Boston's would go nicely in there, but you may have to upgrade the amp and sub to get the overall effect happening. I think most cars, the audio is set up for the front seats only, but like the idea of having the speakers down lower rather than at chest level, just my personal choice.

[quote name='Deer Killer']Wow. I wasn't expecting that. Seems to be front-seat oriented only.[/quote] It's really about "front soundstage". You want most of the focalpoint of the music coming from the front, as if you were in a live concert venue. Bouncing even just the peripheral image of the more directional highs and midrange off the windsheild glass into the rest of the cabin usually does the trick. Most tweeters are cross-imaged, anyway, with the driver's side pointed at the passenger, and vice versa. Bass, being non-directional (dual hemispherical dispersion, not conical) It may have a "sweet spot" in the front seat center area, but it might not sound too bad in the back seats, either. the two ways in the rear doors should fill in the rear soundstage pretty well, too.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived