LegacyGT.com

Asking for advice: possible clutch/flywheel problem.

Wookiee Fury

Hi, this is my first post and I would like someone's opinion before taking it to the dealer or a shop. I own a 2005 Legacy GT Limited with a 5 speed manual and I'm over the 100K mark with the original clutch/flywheel. Yesterday a strong burning odor started coming from the engine bay. I then noticed that when accelerating the RPM's would increase, but the speed wouldn't increase proportionally. I have stopped driving it and I am relying on a backup car. Does anyone have any insight as to what could be causing this? If it is the clutch or flywheel, does anyone have any recommendations on a replacement? The car is mostly stock. Thanks in advance!

Clutch is slipping, and engine is racing your clutch disc is done for, if your car is mostly stock get an oem. It depends on your goals are you keeping the car the way it is if so oem or exedy makes an oem replacement anything over stage 2 people have had good luck with ACT HD and the spec stg 2+
StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

Where are you from ?

Read in this forum and you'll find a lot of info.

You'll need a 07-09 single mass flywheel and a after market clutch.

You should also get a TSK3 TOB (throw out bearing) kit.

Contact one of the vendors here like AZPinstalls.com if your near NJ or m sprank if your on the west coast.

Fredbeans is also a helpful site. Check the vendor link up top.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

If your snout is in good shape the COMP clutch packages come with very beefy TOB.

If you are concerned about daily driveability, ClutchMaster clutches are like butter and even softer and more gentle than OEM but with more holding capacity.

If you just want to go cheap and have the same thing you already had (that lasted 100k miles) consider something like an Exedy OEM clutch replacement kit AND A TOB because exedy tob are not all that.

Archived