LegacyGT.com

Engine swap confusion??

So I picked up a 99 legacy lgt the other day that some girl hit with a truck, motor and trans were good so I brought it home and started pulling the engine, got what I thought were the 2 tranny bolts and 2 lower tranny nuts off, and started to pull the engine, so far ive found atleast 2 other bolts connecting the motor/tranny that werent on my 98, that just had the 4 and it pulled right out. Am i dealing with a 2nd gen 4eat and 2nd gen ej25 then? or..? comparing my block and my tranny to the other one and the only differences im seeing are the bolts holding the tranny to the engine. Its a 99 but the same body style as my 98, is this gonna cause any problems when putting it back together? also, any ideas on how to remove the lower nut holding the starter on thats been stripped out? bought it this way and its the 2nd to last one I need out. not enough room for a good pair of visegrips..

the 99 outback and GT engines are an odd lot. they have the phase 2, 8 trans bolt block with the phase 1 DOHC heads and intake. i'm not sure about the rods and pistons but it does not matter.

the complete engine will swap into your 98 car with no worries. just use the 4 bolt holes that match up. just like your 98.

the short block will also swap into a phase 2 car 00 - 03/4 with no worries. but the heads and intake will not easily swap to those years.

also, any ideas on how to remove the lower nut holding the starter on thats been stripped out?
when i installed a new 01 engine in a 00 legacy (remember it is the same block) i discovered there was a sequence to installing the bolts under the starter. if you install the wrong one first you can not get a wrench on the other one . so i would assume the opposite is true when removing the bolts. you cannot get a wrench on the one until the other one id removed. and since you were not too sure how many bolts held the trans to the engine it is possible that you missed one under the starter.

hope this helps.

i found the 2 your talking about and the trans bolt is kinda hidden by the starter and the nut that actually holds the starter on is whats stripped, I need to get it off before I can remove the last trans bolt and swap the engine, unfortunately theres not enough room to fit a vise grips in there to turn it so im kinda stuck in a crappy situation.

Archived