LegacyGT.com

Suspension/Steering Issues

Hey guys. I couldn't find any threads that seemed to answer my problem, so I started a new one.

I have an 09' Legacy SE. Currently, it has about 57,000 miles on it. Starting last Fall I began to have problems with the suspension. I hit a rail road track that (unknowingly) was under construction, and ever since, the car has not been the same. At first, it was just a "rougher" ride. At times, it would feel like the something was clunking in the front end, and it seemed like I lost a little bit of handling on tight corners. The strange thing is that it has been intermittent. I brought it into the dealership, and ofcourse, they found no issue. For weeks, it would ride fine, then at random times it would crappy again for a few days. Then it would be fine for a couple weeks. My friends thought I was crazy, and I dealt with it for awhile as my funds were low and the warranty had expired. Towards this summer, the problem was getting worse and less intermittent. I first noticed it change during highway driving. Seemed like a little bit of wind would throw the car around. Recently, it has gotten to the point, where the steering is mushy and I really have to concentrate more on keeping the car in my lane at highway speeds. At normal speeds, it is not as noticable, but still rough on bumps. I finally brought it into a shop by my work. The guy drove it around (not highway) and lifted the car to inspect the suspension components. He said everything looked factory tight, and maybe I had one or more bent rims, and that is has affected the tires. I was in need of new tires anyways, so I picked up some Conti ExtremeContacts DWS. After getting the tires installed, the car seemed to be I guess something must have happened when he lifted the car, but after driving for a bit, it went back. It's gotten to the point where I don't even like driving anymore, which is a bummer considering it was so fun to drive when I bought it with 18000 miles. I can't wrap my head around what it could be. The struts haven't shown any signs of leaking, theres no grinding so i doubt its the bearings. I don't know if the sway bar links could make that big of a difference, possibly the tie rod ends. When I had ball joints go on my last car, it would noticably "jump" after turning, etc. This isn't that drastic. I'm really hoping that the control arm bushings arent going. The whole thing just seems strange as twice I've brought it to a shop with no apparent issues, not to mention the fact that it was intermittent for the longest time. Anybody have any suggestions? Is there something that commonly goes out first on these suspensions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm going nuts here. This is my first Subaru, and I've never had similar issues with my other cars. I love the car besides this compounding issue.

ps...sorry it's so long, but i felt the more info the better. Thanks.

Check your front endlinks, I would bet at least one of them is shot.

My car was doing the same thing, the end links weren't broken, but the insides of them were shot... so at first examination they were fine, but if I grabbed them and shook, I could move the sway bar 1/2 inch either way.

you just need to check all of the things you listed and maybe a few others. not sure why the dealer didn't find anything unless they just didn't want to chase down a ghost.

swaybars + bushings

endlinks

strut mount points

tie rods

streering rack

wheel balance and alignment

control arms and bushings

almost all of these things can be checked by just jumping under the car for 10-20 minutes, if that.

lol

Archived