LegacyGT.com

Tires

• I Donated

Tire cupping isn't caused by torque bind. It happens on every car regardless of if its AWD, FWD, or RWD.

What causes it is bad struts.

Replace your struts.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

who is brokeindark?

Torque bind can cause abnormal wear on your rear tires, but not your front.

If your front tires are cupping, its not because of torque bind. Its from your struts

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Check out this thread: http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/showthread.php?t=123495

And an excerpt from that thread: Rooster 2, post #2: Tire cupping is caused by poor tire balance, or worn suspension or steering components. Since you moved the first cupping tire to the rear, and now another tire is beginning to cup in the same front location, I gotta think it is worn steering or suspension parts, not a tire balance problem.

Suggest you get the car up on a lift, or jacked up with front wheel off the ground. Try wrestling the road wheel in and out, up and down, left to right to see if the road wheel has any loose play. It is that loose play that allows the road wheel to move about on its own, and slightly hop up and down cause the cupping. I am thinking you have a bad ball joint or tie rod end. Also possible that the strut is bad.

A front end alignment could be needed, but first find and fix what is allowing the wheel hop. Also... a good front end alignment shop will be able to tell you what is causing the wheel hop.

Once a tire is cupped, about all you can do with it, is to run it on the rear of the car for the remainder of its life, or just replace the tire.

• I Donated
You might be wrong. A worn strut thats worn bad enough to cause cupping won't always have excessive bounce, be leaking, etc. You can't tell externally every time if the strut is good or not. That is why its recommended to replace them based on mileage.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

• I Donated
BXR4T. Thanks for good information. I shall refrain from posting until I learn something more about these horseless carriages.

No need for that lol

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

broknindarkagain is absolutely right. I work with wheels and tires for my job, and cupping of the tires are caused by what he said. bad strut cupping wear can mostly be noticed if the tires are cupped and wearing in an uneven diagonal wear. If it's minor cupping of the inner shoulder, then it could also be a lack of tire rotation as well.

• I Donated

You have got to be kidding me. Did you really edit out all of your posts because you got mad?

SERIOUSLY???!!???

Come on man. Thats ridiculous

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived