LegacyGT.com

Downshift or neutral when slowing down

But if you have to drive further using gas because the engine braking slows you down more than coasting, isn't that going to be about the same averaged out.

I was thinking about while driving home with another 400lbs of lime in the car.

I think it depends on the situation. I learned what SBT said about leaving it in gear is better for the engine and save gas, than in neutral, in an episode of top gear uk.

Probably, but I don't always engine brake. I assess the situation I'm in when slowing down and I'll either engine brake or coast in neutral.

One example would be a freeway exit ramp that's at an incline. If I engine brake, I won't make it to the top so I tend to put it in neutral and coast.

That's pretty much what happens in the real world for me too. I assess what the road ahead is ans what traffic is like.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Are you a mason by any chance or you just decomposing a lot of bodies?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

No, it's pillitized lime for the lawn, at least that's what I tell anyone that ask...

FWIW, it's $3.00 per 40lb bag at Tractor Supply for those guy's who have lawns. I've put down 1200lbs in the past week or so.

I tried leaving the tranny in 5th while rolling down the hills on the DD today. Way to much driveline noise with a 17lb FW and urthane bushings.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived