LegacyGT.com

Whatever happened to the Genesis Coupe?

The genesis (both coupe and sedan) were both a lot of hype with little to show for it. With the engines and suspension setup they have, they should be producing a lot more power and handling a lot better. I was very excited when I first started hearing about the cars, and then very disappointed when I started reading the road tests.

^ That's what I remember too, but since then the 4 cylinder jumped to 274 HP and the V6 has 348 HP now as well.

Just seems like it would have sparked more excitement.

And the turbo's 0-60 is still in the high 5's :rolleyes:.

This pretty much explains it, motor trend says good specs, poor execution:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes/1205_2013_hyundai_genesis_coupe_r_spec_first_test/

The genesis (both coupe and sedan) were both a lot of hype with little to show for it. With the engines and suspension setup they have, they should be producing a lot more power and handling a lot better. I was very excited when I first started hearing about the cars, and then very disappointed when I started reading the road tests.

Whew. Yeah this^^^^. I narrowly avoided being persuaded by the wife that a Sonata 2.0T would be 'THE' utilitarian car for us. I just couldn't bear the front wheel drive. What I really wanted to convince her of when we went to the Hyundai dealer was a Genesis V6 Coupe, with the Track package, but I am so glad she is straight forward and said that a 2-1/2 seater wouldn't work with my kids. Then she got me in the Sonata. Huge dissappointment ensued (on my part, not hers) and alas, my search continued at the Subaru dealer, only to find my true love. And the wife likes it too. SHHH. She hasn't seen my list of mods yet. I'm rolling them out sloooowwwly.

I test drove a 2013 V6 Genesis with R-Spec Track with the 8 spd auto a couple months back. Here's my thoughts:

It may not pull off great 0-60 numbers, but it was easy to keep right in the powerband with the 8spd auto. It pulled very hard even with 3 people in it. The auto wasn't bad. Shifts were quick.

Looks are subjective as always. I personally like the newer Genesis over the old one. I thought the older one looked like someone grabbed it's grill and pulled the whole front end forward.

In comparison to the Mustang GT:

The interior is WAY nicer than the Mustang. There's not even a comparison there. The Mustang still looks like rental car. The Genesis interior appears as if the designers actually put some thought into it, instead of retro bumper car steering wheels and such. I also had a bit more room in the Genesis than the Mustang. In the Genesis, you really feel like you're driving a low slung sports car, because you are. The Mustang feels more like a SUV in comparison. The back seat in both cars are useless, except for small children.

So, while it's not as fast as a Mustang GT, you'd be spending about $8k less for the top model Genesis compared to a Mustang GT with similar options (track package, leather, brembos, premium sound, etc). You can get 90% of the Mustang GT's straightline performance for much less, and have a much nicer daily driver.

The lead developer on my team at work has a Genesis (don't know what year). He doesn't like it and is thinking about leasing a STI soonish instead. He mentioned that the car gets loose pretty easily and the overall handling isn't that great.

And yes, I also think it looks like a Tiburon.

I guess im not surprised at the 5.18s on the 0-60. I mean the thing weighs 3450-3570lbs with 348 hp, its not that light. And you can only put so much power down with the rwd. Id say that is right where it should be. 400hp GTO's did 0-60 in 4.6 the 350 hp did it in around 5 at 3700lbs and a hell of a lot more torque on the low end

Archived