LegacyGT.com

My 05 LGT v. '05 STi

I've been happily driving my '05 LGT for the last year. I upgraded slightly with a catless uppipe and excellent Ecutek tune which yielded 242 whp and 275 wtq.

I finally took the time to test drive an '05 STi yesterday to see if I want one as my next purchase. Surprisingly, I really didn't feel the same kick in the pants that I thought I'd feel. My LGT, with the two simple mods that I have, feels easily as fast. The STi's suspension feel, quicker steering, etc. felt awesome, but the power was not what I expected.

As the STi was brand new, and not nearly broken in, I chalk it up to that. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'd love to do a couple of runs next to an STi to see how I'd fare.

^^+1

WRX/STI have abysmal aerodynamics, which greatly hurts them as the speeds push upwards of 110mph. While our leggies have excellent numbers in that dept.

I think that's a major reason why our cars can fare so well against notably faster more powerful cars.

I didn't really push it until we hit the highway, however, even at lower speeds, prior to getting onto I95 for a few exits, the car just didn't have the punch that I'd expected.

My dyno numbers are in the neighborhood of a stock STi, so I suppose that I wouldn't feel much difference. The car was also not broken in. It had just a few miles, so that may have had something to do with it as well. I was just really surprised.

I'm going to have to take another drive in one to see. If I get the same "butt dyno" results, I'll probably revise my plans and get an '07 LGT in late 2006 to which I'll apply the same Ecutek tune in addition to some other mods which seem to have worked well for other people on this board, particularly in the suspension dept., where the STi was clearly a very different beast.

I think my stage 2 LGT with uppipe feels faster then a stock STI at any speed. At least form the limited time i have spent in an STI, doesnt feel much different but i think the GT hits a little harder once spooled up. I dont know any numbers on my car but my guess would be similar to your car with an ecutek tune, maybe a little more since i have to DP cat.

What confuses me is how to me the GT FEELS faster, but I have seen guys run stock STI's way down in the low 13's at the track stock, and although i have not run my stage 2 yet, my HOPES were only for about 13.5?? (on a good day with a good launch) or so. So who knows

i see your point, but disagree a little. I personally think the stiff suspension and louder exhaust usually makes a car feel faster. Like my wrx with loud exhaust id step on and people in the car would be like holy sh**!! in my GT which is MUCH faster and pulls harder, i can nail it and since the thing is so damn quiet no one really makes a peep.

I agree with wrx2blackGT. Most people I give a ride,give my car much more respect after seeing how it fares against others. Even with stg2, my car(AP,upp,dp) seems very tame compared to my friends 04' wrx stg2(headers,TBE,AP).

I agree with wrx2BlackGT. :)

My test-drive in Winky consisted of the following:

- stepped out of the dealership lot slowly, getting used to the clutch and stick (my immediate-previous ride consisted of a workout leg-press ACT-2600 plus a rifle-bolt B&M)

- rowed down through the gears at the stoplight, again getting a feel for the clutch and stick

- launched off the light

- thought to myself "hum, this car seems just like my in-laws' V6 Camry," nice and quiet, smooth running - not at all like my banshee-wailing upgraded TSi....good family car.... WHOA! revs nice and fast, though, almost went in to the red, gotta grab second! gotta grab third!

- looked over at the speedo, and realized I was doing 2x the posted 35mph limit

- promptly uttered a curse...hum, didn't think I was going that fast!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Archived