LegacyGT.com

amgarrety's 2003 Legacy B4

amgarrety

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post updated for the first time in over a year.

Only small updates since my last post. '02 WRX seats and S401 Hazard Switch (red).

9286764567_99e5c54ee5_z.jpg

Also new headlights, super clear and awaiting a protective coating before they get installed. I have a thing for super clear.

9298786019_edd04ea9aa_z.jpg

• 1 year later...
Did you hook up these lights already? I bought the same lights and plan to install it to my Legacy L wagon that has a single bulb (High/Low) setup. I bought a female connector so that I don't have to splice the OEM wires. Here's the issue, there are 4 wires going into this OEM Kouki Headlights and mine only has three? How did you resolve this? Thanks!

Yeah, so with Subaru lights (3rd gen anyway), they are ground controlled. So on the US models, both bulbs (or in your case, the single bulb) uses one power feed for both filiments, and then completes the ground for each depending on if you have high or low beam on. For instance, on low beam, the low beam circuit's ground is completed while the high beam circuit's ground is left open. And that switches for high beam, but both use the same hot wire to power their circuits.

So that is why you have 3 wires on the US light. One power, one low beam ground, and one high beam ground.

The reason for the 4th wire on the JDM light is simply that they gave each bulb its own hot wire. So you have one high beam power, one high beam ground, one low beam power, and one low beam ground. I personally don't understand the reason for separate power wires since they are still ground controlled, but that is the reason.

You'd fix this exactly the way you might expect. You take the two separate power wires on the JDM harness (I believe they are red with a blue stripe) and just connect both to the single power wire on the US harness. Then connect the grounds properly and you'll be in business.

Bottom line, high beam power and low beam power (same color) connect to the single hot wire on the US harness, low beam ground connects to low beam ground, and high beam ground connects to high beam ground.

There is a thread that explains this, but I can't seem to find it at the moment. If I find it I'll link you to it.

Thanks! I got it. I followed your recommendation. There were two wires that are red with blue that I assumed is the common power. So I wired it this way and took a chance on which one is low and which is high. But I got lucky and got it right! And it worked. But as you know, when you answer one question, it usually generates more questions. So here's question no. 1, when I put on the high beam, the low beam (the HID) turns off. Is that how it works? I've had dual bulbs before (Integra, Miata, Accord etc.) and usually, low beam stays on when you turn on the high beam. :confused: Hmmmm....

Quesiton 2 - I plan not to install a leveling switch. You mentioned previously that you can manually adjust it without a switch. Can you give instructions how to do that? Thanks again!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

What do you mean? My car is a US model, and any lights that ever came stock on a 3rd gen Legacy will fit any other 3rd gen Legacy, with one slight exception, which are the current headlights I have now. They were only on JDM models from '01-'02, and while they will physically fit our cars and bolt up fine, they leave a gap on US hoods because the meeting point of the hood and headlight on the upper curve (near the grille) is more shallow on those headlights, so the hood will still have the steeper curve. So there will be a slight gap there. No more than a visual problem, but they'll still fit fine otherwise. The only way to fix that is to get a hood and bumper from an '01-'02 JDM Legacy.

Any other lights, including all US lights (L and GT) and JDM lights from '98-'00 will fit perfectly on a stock hood and bumper combo. The only thing you *might* run into is a difference in wiring, but that is the only thing. Fitment is otherwise perfect.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived