LegacyGT.com

amgarrety's 2003 Legacy B4

amgarrety

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Check out auction sites like Rinkya. It's really hard to get used to, but after awhile it isn't too bad to navigate. You can normally get parts pretty cheap since it is basically a Japanese eBay (they are Yahoo auctions). When you want to bid, there are a number of companies out there who will bid for your item on your behalf, receive the item, and then send it to your address for a small fee. I use mailorderjapan.com, and for the purchases I make, commission is only ¥300. They are really pretty cheap for the service they provide. They have more info on their website. I've bid on parts through them 3 times and I've been satisfied each time.

It's actually a pretty easy and straight forward swap. Your bumper and hood will fit up to existing mounting points fine. Your lights will also use existing mounting points, however since they are HID, they have ballasts. To fit those ballasts, you'll need to use a dremmel to cut away some of the metal around the light. It isn't too bad. I had one guy helping me do the swap and it only took about an hour (he did the dremmel work, which is the longest part of the swap, and I replaced the bumper and hood). If you actually go through with it, let me know, and I'll give you some finer details on the swap. Like I said though, it isn't too bad.

• 2 weeks later...

You can re-aim them without the switch, but I understand wanting one. Keep in mind though, it only adjusts up and down, not left and right.

You can find them every once and awhile on eBay, but your best bet (and this is what I did) us to search Japanese auction sites for one. It took me awhile to find one with the pigtail included, but that makes the job to much easier if you can get that. Also, if you know anyone over in Japan who may be able to get one at a junkyard, that is a pretty easy route to go. That will ensure you get a pigtail with it.

You'll notice if you get the switch and wire it up correctly, the very first thing that will happen is the lights will raise up to their actual height. For whatever reason, when the switch isn't attached, the lights sink down to an extra low setting that can't even be reached by using the switch. That's where your lights sit now. Because if that, if you do plan on getting a switch, don't mess with adjusting the lights until after you have the switch hooked up. Otherwise you could really throw your adjustment off and you have to put more work into getting it right after the switch is installed. I figured that out the hard way with my first set of HID lights.

• 2 months later...

New rims and lower (on Tokico struts and H&R springs).

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8389/8543544982_319307e8f4_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8386/8542446165_4720cde007_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8529/8542445739_0c2e0374b8_z.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8110/8543545318_76b159a27c_z.jpg

So I began my modifications to my legacy and have couple q's. I have a legacy gt 00 and I don't know much about how different the usdm leg's are to the b4's. It also seems like there's a bit of changes between the 00 to the 01-03's so any facts or info's would be appreciated.

Now here's my main question: my buddy just gave me a pair of jdm b4 headlights and noticed that the wiring plug is different than mine. And from this thread, it made it sound like the b4 headlights are a direct easy plug n' play to the 03 legacy.. well aside from the cutting and trimming to fit the ballast. Does it have to do something with my model being a 00 and have a different wiring? Or does it have to do with the whole type a-c and d?

There are a few odd differences between the USDM and JDM models that you might come across, but some are obvious and others not so much. There are too many differences varying on significance for me to go into in this post, but I can give you more specific help as you need it. For the most part, just about anything you would want to swap should be easy with little modification. It's things like the doors and fenders that the odd problems arise. But that aside, the US models vary mainly in two different groups; the '00-'02 style (with halogen fogs) and the '03-'04 (with projector fogs). That is if fogs are equipped, and is only one way of telling the difference, but things like the center console, painted trim, and wheel options can give away the year as well. But the biggest difference is definitely the bumper, which will house either halogen or projector fogs, and is considered the "facelift" for the 3rd gen.

On to your questions about the headlights, I apologize for not going Ito much detail here because my main build thread is on a different forum. No matter which headlights you get from Japan, they will all share the same connector, however as far as I know, it is a connector not used here in the US at all, although my only real experience is with the single bulb L headlights. When switching from my stock L lights to the A-C type HIDs, I did have to solder the JDM connector to the stock wiring to get the JDM lights to hook up properly to the car, as my stock connector didn't fit the new lights. When switching from my A-C type lights to my D-type lights however, they shared the same connector, so that swap was plug and play. I don't know if all JDM lights share the same connector, but I'd be willing to bet that if they are HID, they do, and that means you'll need to replace your US connector.

The JDM connector has 4 wires and the US has 3, but on the JDM connector, two wires will be the same color. They can be joined together into one wire (this is your 12v+), and that will give you the 3 wires needed to connect to your car's stock wiring.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Archived