LegacyGT.com

I could use some Tire Advice

jsf721

I could use some quick accurate advice as I need to get this fixed during lunch today or at lease order the wheel/tires.

Last night my son cut a tire and scraped a rim on a curb. I have a 2012 Legacy Limited (with 700 mileson it :eek:).

I put the spare tire on (What a peice of Chit the jack is!)

1. Will this car hold a full size spare if I pop for a new wheel and keep this as a spare?

2. If I remount the tire on the chipped rim will the tire pressure sensor re calibrate?

3. If i buy a new rim and tire and TPM will it auto calibrate or do I need to take it to the dealer?

4. Are the stock Turanza EL 400 decent in the wet/snow or should I cut my losses and replace a 4 now?

I could use some quick accurate advice as I need to get this fixed during lunch today or at lease order the wheel/tires.

Last night my son cut a tire and scraped a rim on a curb. I have a 2012 Legacy Limited (with 700 mileson it :eek:).

I put the spare tire on (What a peice of Chit the jack is!)

1. Will this car hold a full size spare if I pop for a new wheel and keep this as a spare?

2. If I remount the tire on the chipped rim will the tire pressure sensor re calibrate?

3. If i buy a new rim and tire and TPM will it auto calibrate or do I need to take it to the dealer?

4. Are the stock Turanza EL 400 decent in the wet/snow or should I cut my losses and replace a 4 now?

1. No, it will be too wide to sit flush in the well

2. Yes

3. You should just move the TPMS from the old rim to the new rim, it's integrated into the tire valve.

4. Turanza EL 400's are some of the crappiest tires I've ever used for anything.

Sometimes the TPMS will re-calibrate but you may have to get the Id's written to the car again. Any tire place should be able to do this. If you live by a Discount Tire or America's tire they will do this for free. Up to you on the tires I'd just replace 1 and ride the tires out then look into new tires when you need too.
Priorities change when car parts come into the equation

and make sure the old wheels are okay/hold air/not bent before you mount new tires on them

The firs thing I did was make sure that the damage was soley cosmetic. Thanks for the heads up though. This is a shared Family vehicle and my 17 year old (new driver) logs alot of the miles so I am hyper sensitive about any safety issue. I also fully expect to replace all the tires with COnti's for MXV's as soon as they show signs of wear or when i see for myself the winter performance.

Really upsetting that the stock tires get such poor reviews on a AWD car in this price range. Shame on Subaru., Plus-I need to get a better Jack. I will be startiung another thread on this.

Sometimes the TPMS will re-calibrate but you may have to get the Id's written to the car again. Any tire place should be able to do this. If you live by a Discount Tire or America's tire they will do this for free. Up to you on the tires I'd just replace 1 and ride the tires out then look into new tires when you need too.

I am not too handy but I will be re-using the TPM so it all worked out. Thanks

1. No, it will be too wide to sit flush in the well

2. Yes

3. You should just move the TPMS from the old rim to the new rim, it's integrated into the tire valve.

4. Turanza EL 400's are some of the crappiest tires I've ever used for anything.

Thanks, I have the rim in the well and it looks lke it fits although the larger tray that give the floor its integrity will not! I need to see if I can figure something out.

700 miles and he already hopped a curb? Sounds like me when I was in high school.

Curious, what was his excuse for how the car ended up over the curb? Did he swerve to avoid a small animal?

Well Since you asked here is the story-You can't make this stuff up-

He was at Taco Bell at 1AM in the drive throgh lane with a bunch of his buddies. They decided after hearing at the "XXX whatever type of taco" was sold out that they would instead go to Wendy's. He proceded to attempt to back up thrugh the drive thu and navagate a sharp curve in reverse. (He started driving the end of June and even the back up camera was not enough of a help.) He pinched the tire, cut the side wall and scraped the rim.

So I get the call at 1:00AM, I have a flat, since the tire is destroyed, can I just drive home? I said no, I will be right there. I show up minutes later (It's about 1.5 miles) look at the damage, the crappy jack, call roadside assistance and drive his friends home leaving him in the lot to wait. I get back 20 minutes later and road side assistance is pulling in ahead of me. 1-2-3 spare installed and packed up some paperwork completed. Sit my son down on the bench and talk this out, discuss jusgement and making better decisions, responsibility, risk assesment and I was home approx 2AM.

Fast Forward to today-1 new tire ordered will be in tomorrow. Alloy wheel at Wheel-fix-it for scuff removal and re-paint/re-clear

Tale of the tape:

1. Tire $178.00 (total rip off for this crappy tire but it needs to match the others)

2. Wheel Repair and re-paint-mount and balance $ 145.00

3. Installation of tire on the car (local station $ 10.00) Wheel place will not mount or dismount wheels from vehicles due to insurance issue.

Half a day out of work getting this all done, draggiong him along for the ride.

All in all he learned alot for not too much money (I hope). Everyone is OK and there was zero nonsense involved (Alcohol or worse)

Sounds like he had an honest mistake with the car, kids do run into things while they're learning the dimensions of their car. Better that it happened in a drive thru and not a busy street.

I agree, You sound like the same type of Dad as I am. When my wife and I heard the news, your heart is in your mouth until you discover everyone is OK.

alcohol involved? LOL

but I've seen people complain on various forums on various cars about how crappy their OEM tires are

I guess it's more about using the tires to get better gas milage/EPA rating?

You never know, it is something I keep a keen eye on. I have great kids but I also know what goes on and you need to be vigilant. I have a zero tolerance policy for that crap. Fastest way for him to loose his right to drive any car I own/insure.

I think all parents need to have their kids watch the Dateline-What would you do Kids and Alcohol. it is on youtube and I made both og my kids watch it with me.

I agree, You sound like the same type of Dad as I am. When my wife and I heard the news, your heart is in your mouth until you discover everyone is OK.

You never know, it is something I keep a keen eye on. I have great kids but I also know what goes on and you need to be vigilant. I have a zero tolerance policy for that crap. Fastest way for him to loose his right to drive any car I own/insure.

I think all parents need to have their kids watch the Dateline-What would you do Kids and Alcohol. it is on youtube and I made both og my kids watch it with me.

Well thankfully I'm not a dad yet (only 27 here), but I've been through a number of things in my life, and put my parents through enough to see what really matters. I've seen terror in their eyes when I was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident (not my fault, but fault doesn't matter when you're dead) that landed me in my dad's ER (both my parents are docs, and the accident occured 1 mile down the street from my dad's hospital. He was on the scene before the ambulances/fire trucks made it there).

With regard to the booze thing, my parents introduced me to alcohol when I was young with the occasional glass of wine or beer at dinner when I was probably 13/14. It completely dimystified it for me and I didn't have the urge to drink to excess ever (I still don't). They hammered it into me that while they didn't mind if I drank at a party or whatnot in highschool, they would murder me if I ever got behind the wheel afterwards (and lo and behold, I never did). I think that's the best policy when it comes to kids. The less taboo you make things, and the more personal choice and responsibility you instill in them, the more likely they are to make the right decision when it comes time to.

Well thankfully I'm not a dad yet (only 27 here), but I've been through a number of things in my life, and put my parents through enough to see what really matters. I've seen terror in their eyes when I was nearly killed in a motorcycle accident (not my fault, but fault doesn't matter when you're dead) that landed me in my dad's ER (both my parents are docs, and the accident occured 1 mile down the street from my dad's hospital. He was on the scene before the ambulances/fire trucks made it there).

With regard to the booze thing, my parents introduced me to alcohol when I was young with the occasional glass of wine or beer at dinner when I was probably 13/14. It completely dimystified it for me and I didn't have the urge to drink to excess ever (I still don't). They hammered it into me that while they didn't mind if I drank at a party or whatnot in highschool, they would murder me if I ever got behind the wheel afterwards (and lo and behold, I never did). I think that's the best policy when it comes to kids. The less taboo you make things, and the more personal choice and responsibility you instill in them, the more likely they are to make the right decision when it comes time to.

Sounds like your wise beyiond your years! I have done the best job I can as far as alcohol safety is concerned and all I know is you need to stay in touch and repeat the important stuff until they are sick of hearing it. So far so good.

I think it's just about education, let them know how bad it is to drink and drive

b/c most just think "I'll be fine"

I'd let my kids drink before they are 21, but only at home, and definitely not even touch car keys

I would swear my kids will never drink and drive or get into the car with someone who has however, watch Dateline-You decide, what would your kids do. on Youtube and it is shocking.

I keep sending the message best I can-So far So Good.

I have great kids but I also know what goes on and you need to be vigilant. I have a zero tolerance policy for that crap. Fastest way for him to loose his right to drive any car I own/insure.

Our kids knew there was a 15 year old minivan in the driveway that would be the replacement vehicle.

Archived