LegacyGT.com

Mesh Roof Rack Construction

As some of you are aware, I now have a set of train horns that I am installing the on my vehicle. They will be mounted on the roof, with an air line running into the rear hatch (potentially simply through the gap at the top.

However, I am not about to have a set of train horns visible on the roof of the car... For several reasons. My plan is to fabricate some sort of low-profile roof rack that will house these horns, and have sides of black, woven mesh to hide them but still allow sound through. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what material to use, and how to construct this contraption? I might end up building it in Auto desk Inventor first, just to I can figure out what I'm doing. It will likely be about 6" tall. Potentially tapered at the front (or rounded) to reduce noise and drag a bit. Any input at all would be greatly appreciated!

Why not run the air line underneath the headliner, and up through one of the holes that mount the roof rack? Either through one of the existing bolt holes, or drill a new one? It would be underneath the roof rail and invisible. And if you removed the horns later the new hole would be protected underneath the rail.

id say light steel or aluminum mesh with some nylon screen material lining the inside to obscure visibility, welded with angle material for stability. cant get more simple than that, and you can use a piano hinge at the front, making it open to the rear with a nice locking handle. there are lots of recessed handles you can get for industrial cabinets, shouldnt be too hard to get it working on a home job box.

get a roof rack fairing then turn it into a small trapizoid box to house your horns, cut the front of the fairing to make a window for the horns, then grab some chicken wire, paint it black (paint your horns black) and vola no one will think you are thomas the tank ;)

Okay, so for anyone (no-one) who is interested, here is what I've come up with so far. I used 1/2" PVC piping and joints to form a basic frame. Then I used some aluminum bars (with a U-shaped cross-section) to form a frame on which to mount the air horns. Everything is bolted together that can be (even the PVC joints) because I hate making things permanent. I've then cut some chicken wire to protect from large debris, and to provide a supporting mesh screen behind what will first be speaker cloth - though I doubt it will stand up - until I can find a more durable material. The top and bottom will be a solid board... of some sort... because it will add rigidity, avoid from flopping up and down in the wind, protect from falling debris, and help contain the sound so that it projects out to the side and not up or - more importantly - down into the cabin. So far it's coming along rather well. It's rock-solid right now (I wouldn't be afraid to toss it.)

It's designed to fit between the two roof rails, and the two crossbars. Not entirely certain as to how I will mount it to them yet. Also not certain how I will run the air line - though I'm still thinking I could run it through the hatch without an issue.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/251034_3778341980379_1926995539_n.jpg

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/62049_3778431942628_1738320987_n.jpg

Finished. It now awaits a seamstress for the sewing on of the final cover. I ended up just going with chicken wire on top, and I'm actually going to leave the bottom open. The final cover will be a layer of speaker fabric, which will block out a lot of the light and make it mostly difficult to see in. Then on top of that will be a... vinyl or nylon or whatever... black screen door mesh that will hopefully add a layer of protection and durability to the speaker fabric from debris and bugs and the like. We shall see what it looks like when my friend gets done with it.

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560300_3779562570893_556481255_n.jpg

I've then cut some chicken wire to protect from large debris, and to provide a supporting mesh screen behind what will first be speaker cloth - though I doubt it will stand up - until I can find a more durable material.

go to home depot or lowes and look at the screen material. there is a vinyl or nylon mesh that is used for screen doors and window screens that should hold up much better than the speaker cover.

edit: should have read the last post, hehe. nevermind, you already are using screen mesh.

So, I'm thinking about how to run the air line to the roof, and I came to the dramatic realization that this IS a 15 year old car. To that end, I think I'm going to take it to a shop that has a lot of experience installing aerials on cars and have them drill a hole just inside the rearmost left rack mount. I will have them permanently install a push-to-release air line fitting on each side (in the roof and in the headliner.) That way when I don't want to use the horns, I can just disconnect them, and plug the hole. I don't trust myself enough to make a clean cut and not **** up the paint or dent the roof in the process, but the car is old enough that I don't mind making a hole in the roof as long as it is done properly.

Cool mod! train horn ftw!

I remember back in the days, a guy installed one on his Alero, he hid the horn in the back bumper cover by removing just enough of the rear plastic crash absorber to fit the horn. No signs of it and plenty of surprise without compremising the look of the car.. Still he had only two horns, not 4 lol.

Archived