LegacyGT.com

Blown engine, suggestions on the next step?

So coming home from a wedding this past weekend the lgt decided to take a shit. Heard something weird so I pulled over and it sounded like a midget was banging around with a mallet on my block, short story I spun a rod bearring and the crank is all etched up. Right now my options are 1.) sleeve the block, new crank and just a general rebuild, 2.) 257 block and a rebuild, 3.) svx swap(if i can find a good car..), 4.) jdm swap, I planned on throwing a turbo on it soon so im looking for whatevers gonna be most reliable while still sticking in a reasonable price range, any suggestions??

Don't bother trying to rebuild it. It will cost an arm and a leg, You just won't get what you put into it. This just happened to my second Subaru yesterday. It also happened to my first one...

Find an EJ22E at an inexpensive price, gather up all the necessary bit for swapping in a turbo, and top it off with the 2.5 top end from the heads up.

You won't have to turbo this motor right away. It will run great. There is a member on here who has a thread devoted to this engine, in this sub-forum. Check it out.

Sleeving the block will run you at least $600. It's not worth it. These engines are plentiful, so easy to replace. For the price of sleeving and rebuilding it you can get a JDM engine with a trans.

If you want more power do a swap. It depends on how much money you have and how long you want your car to be out of commission.

ive been looking to try and find a ej25 block around here and its nearly impossible, im looking to keep it reasonably priced, but not looking to cut any corners. I want good reliable power i can use as a dd and occasional track car. ive been looking into the dohc 22 but how much am i gonna be able to push through that block safely? obviously the cr is alot lower but it cant be more than 10-12 lbs right?

Run nothing above 12psi on the stock pistons, even if you have an aftermarket ECU. With forged 22T pistons/rings, new rod bearings, & forged rods, you will be able to run high boost. I was told by 3 different locals that the 22E rods are the same forged units as used in the 22Ts (I've read & have had people tell me from different places that they're not though) but you don't want to use the stock rods if you're planning on exceeding a well tuned 12psi.

well I found a rebuilt 22t shork block and a greddy e-manage blue for $650, picking it up this weekend and throwing the 25d dohc heads on it. anyone have any experience with emanage blue? if im not mistaken that will drop cr down to 7.5:1? to low to run N/A correct?

Archived