LegacyGT.com

Clutch Replacement Frequency

boxerbenny

Hi All,

I am currently looking at buying a 2006 M/T sedan with 60K miles. The owner said the clutch has been replaced recently. The car is completely stock and the owner claims it is not driven hard, tracked, etc.

In my experience, shouldn't clutches last longer than 50-60K miles when not abused?

For comparison: My Corvette had 60K miles when I bought it and it had been driven hard and taken to the drag strip. I replaced the clutch at 70K miles.

Because the LGT is heavy and has plenty of traction, just a few hard launches in a row can lead to clutch replacement. 60k is definitely premature, so he either backs up a steep driveway every day, or drives it hard. Even someone learning to drive stick shouldn't be that bad. I wouldn't necessarily discard this car as an option though because a recently replaced clutch does mean you shouldn't have to do it for a long time. Ask for a receipt.

My clutch lasted 102k miles with 87k of those miles on at stage 2 mods. I didn't beat the car at all. If the previous owner needed a new clutch at 60k, he played racecar all the time or was a complete idiot who didn't know how to drive a clutch. Despite previous post, it IS out of the ballpark if you drive like a grownup. Beware your transmission.

• 3 weeks later...
I went about 80K miles on my first clutch and that's what I learned on. Then I switched jobs and deal with start-stop traffic on a 40% grade in downtown Boston. Something tells me I won't be so lucky next time unless I figure out how to start in first gear with "zero slip". At least I am not beating the drivetrain to death.

The dealership replaced the FW, Pressure Plate, Disk, and TOB on mine under warranty when the PP failed at 53K. Car was daily driven, never beaten-on and was unmodded. Seems like the Sachs clutch bits had some production issues which Subaru later fixed by going to the SMFW setup.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

128K, on my third clutch. The second one was a crappy Spec for the DM flywheel, what a mistake. I have never blown a clutch in my 20 years of driving, these cars are tough on clutches. Then again, 325+ ftlb of wheel torque doesn't help. :)

I currently have the ACT HD-SS set up, the best clutch in there so far by a wide margin. I do miss the DM flywheel, nice and heavy and it dampens so much NVH compared to the WRX SM.

Archived