LegacyGT.com

How often do you get a carwash???

It is usually an either/or situation. Waxes and sealants both have their pros and cons, but if you are going to layer them then just be sure to put the sealant on first. Sealants won't bond to the oils on a wax, so always put the wax on last. Once you put a wax on you are done. There are a few sealants that are just nothing but shine and don't really have any of that 'wet' look or glow to them, but they have insane protection. So topping something like that with a wax is just for appearance. It isn't like you are really adding any durability to a product that lasts three times longer anyway. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Yup. The clay bar doesn't do so much visually, but you know how much better it feels afterwards. It will pull a lot of contamination out of the paint and off the surface. The polishing will knock the edges off the fine lines, scratches and swirls so they pretty much disappear. Then waxing or sealing it will give it the protection from UV rays, bird crap, bugs, waterspots, and other things that can really mess up the paint. It is worth it to do all three of those things at least once or twice a year. You'll be amazed how much better your cars look.

For the record, my car is dark grey as well. I hate seeing swirls and scratches. ;) I'd have white if it would have been a choice when I bought the car, but dark charcoal grey is the best of all worlds. Dark enough to look shiny and wet, but light enough that a lot of the damage gets hidden in the color.

I haven't washed it myself yet since I picked it up last weekend but my GGM 13 legacy has swirls on the roof. Wtf?

Dealer installed swirls are a premium feature. ;)

Depending on how it was transported, there could have been plastic covering the roof. When they remove that it will leave some adhesive behind that the lot boys have to clean off. Dealerships don't really have a "detail shop". They aren't turning out show cars or anything like that. They just grease the cars up and send them home for someone else to worry about. Swirling up the paint is pretty easy to do while preping the car after delivery, but they typically grease it up with a glaze so the oils hide everything for a day or two and then suddenly the damage appears. That's why I won't let dealerships touch my car for anything that isn't mechanical. Mechanical stuff they could probably handle, but nothing about knowing how an engine works tells me they understand paint care. It is usually some 17 year old grease monkey who does all the 'detailing' at a dealership, so no thank you. I'll install my own swirls, thank you very much.

OCDETAILS BLOG

^^ That's what I miss right there. My last job I could park in a garage at work and I never had to scrape my windows or worry about insane amounts of dust from construction nearby or anything like that. I really miss that... I could go for weeks without a wash there in the summer when it wasn't raining much. Then again... I was taking the motorcycle everyday it didn't rain, but that is beside the point. ;)

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived