LegacyGT.com

1-1 After racing Modified 350z and Convertible Cobra

yeah, cept it was called the cobra R and 300 were made, and they cost like 2x as much.
Yep. Quite a car. For a while, I was debating whether or not the one I saw on the highway was real, or if it was a modded 01 Cobra with a body kit. But after I reasearched some of the details of the car, it turned out to be a real one.

Ehh I could take it. I washed my car last night and this morning I could really feel the performance gain. I think I am putting like 400HP to the wheels right now. Too bad that will go away as it gets dirty again.........;)

That's why I bought a LGT even having NIssan Employee discount (Invoice - 4.66%) which could give me a 4-5K off MSRP but even though I decided over the Legacy GT....

Way to go.... Factory turbo'ed cars!!!!

Hehehehehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

haha...i work at a subaru/nissan dealership...i just dont like the z...one giant blind spot

The '98 Cobra was the older "wedge-shaped" body style (SN95 platform). 4.6 litre, DOHC - 305 hp factory rating.

The '99 & '01 Cobras were the "squared" body style. 4.6 litre, DOHC - 320 hp factory rating (the 99's were only about 280 - 290 until Ford realized their mistake and introduced an exhaust "fix" :lol: ).

The supercharged Cobra was introduced in '03 and was carried through '04 essentially unchanged. 4.6 litre, DOHC, supercharged (eaton, I believe) - rated at a very conservative 390 hp. They have the same body as the 99/01, but you can tell them apart by their different hood and rear spoiler.

There were no 2000 Cobras as Ford was still getting their sh*t together from the 1999 Cobra debacle... 2001 was a good year for the Cobra.

I'm an LS1 fan (obviously), but no other engine on this earth sounds quite as good as a 4.6l DOHC mod-motor at full song, IMO...

I would expect a 2001 or fixed 1999 Cobra to take an LGT from a roll, but then again, it was a convertible...

03's and 04's are some of the most devastating street machines out there. With just a pully and engine management, they can hit low 12's/high 11's on street tires.

yeah, cept it was called the cobra R and 300 were made, and they cost like 2x as much.

The only things a Cobra-R shares with a Cobra is the body and maybe some interior bits. Completely different car.

The '98 Cobra was the older "wedge-shaped" body style (SN95 platform). 4.6 litre, DOHC - 305 hp factory rating.

The '99 & '01 Cobras were the "squared" body style. 4.6 litre, DOHC - 320 hp factory rating (the 99's were only about 280 - 290 until Ford realized their mistake and introduced an exhaust "fix" :lol: ).

The supercharged Cobra was introduced in '03 and was carried through '04 essentially unchanged. 4.6 litre, DOHC, supercharged (eaton, I believe) - rated at a very conservative 390 hp. They have the same body as the 99/01, but you can tell them apart by their different hood and rear spoiler.

There were no 2000 Cobras as Ford was still getting their sh*t together from the 1999 Cobra debacle... 2001 was a good year for the Cobra.

I'm an LS1 fan (obviously), but no other engine on this earth sounds quite as good as a 4.6l DOHC mod-motor at full song, IMO...

I would expect a 2001 or fixed 1999 Cobra to take an LGT from a roll, but then again, it was a convertible...

03's and 04's are some of the most devastating street machines out there. With just a pully and engine management, they can hit low 12's/high 11's on street tires.

Thanks for all the info. The car I raced certainly had to be a '99 or '01. The more I dwell on it, I feel like the top down and the hot weather cost him. I know I have the turbo car, but for several miles prior to the race, I observed him hot-rodding the 4.6 on a 95 degree day before I pulled up alongside him. I had been driving conservatively, switching around traffic when neccessary and manuevered in for the kill without going WOT once before the race.

The fact that it was a close race, and even late in the race he never started to pull indicates that he probably did not start out in 4th gear.

Had we continued past 100mph, perhaps he would have eventually caught me.

Thanks for all the info. The car I raced certainly had to be a '99 or '01. The more I dwell on it, I feel like the top down and the hot weather cost him. I know I have the turbo car, but for several miles prior to the race, I observed him hot-rodding the 4.6 on a 95 degree day before I pulled up alongside him. I had been driving conservatively, switching around traffic when neccessary and manuevered in for the kill without going WOT once before the race.

The fact that it was a close race, and even late in the race he never started to pull indicates that he probably did not start out in 4th gear.

Had we continued past 100mph, perhaps he would have eventually caught me.

Top-down makes a BIG difference on performance. My current Z28 has no t-tops, but I've owned two in the past that did. With the tops out, they were significantly slower. I would imagine the same goes for a convertible...

Well I think that a hardtop with windows down or a t-top with tops out is actually more drag then a convert with the top down.

The rear glass on the first two will trap all the air like a parachute. The convertible will allow that air to pass. Given it will be better with the top up but when down still not as bad as t-tops with tops off.

Well I think that a hardtop with windows down or a t-top with tops out is actually more drag then a convert with the top down.

The rear glass on the first two will trap all the air like a parachute. The convertible will allow that air to pass. Given it will be better with the top up but when down still not as bad as t-tops with tops off.

I disagree, but then again, fluid dynamics is not my field of expertise... So I don't know for sure.

Archived