LegacyGT.com

Interpret this RR Log please

Haight 05LGT

Ok. I only ask that because I found myself not shifting up into fifth gear on my way to work today as I was only going 40mph. At 40mph in fifth I am somewhere around 1800-2000 rpms...I'm not sure but I feel like my mpg might suffer by not using that fifth gear on my way to work every day.

It's not going to suffer much, if at all, unless you do a LOT of coasting and even then it won't make much of a difference. (Don't confuse coasting with cruising. Coasting = no throttle. Cruising = maintaining your speed, requires throttle.)

There's a point at which being in 5th is actually worse than being in 4th due to the amount of throttle necessary to accelerate/maintain your speed. Think about torque multiplication and engine efficiency. At 1800 RPM, trying to accelerate/maintain in 5th can easily require more throttle than in 4th.

FWIW - the knock sensor is pretty crappy at detecting knock at anything below 3,000 RPM. At low RPM, the sensor is likely picking up engine noise (and interpreting it as knock). Said differently - it is not real knock that is being picked up during low RPM cruise (and shown on your LV), it's noise.

It is very common to have low load/low RPM knock (noise) and nearly impossible to tune out. Lowering timing in the effected region, changing the fueling or even switching over to E85 (much more knock resistant) does not help...therefore most tuners assume it is just noise. I get the low RPM noise too...I am pretty positive it does not hurt the engine.

Just pulled a learning view again and it seems that my knock has not gone away. I have changed my driving habits, yet it is still there. Any ideas?

Also, is there a way to tell if my ECU has been flashed? I raced my friends stock 05 GT yesterday twice and smoked him both times, by far. It leads me to believe that my car does not have the stock tune. Help?

1527861042_LearningView_SS_9-14-2012110401AM.jpg.759e096f2a958f601f3bed12d5d08f88.jpg

Assuming it is a stock or even a stage 1 tune it is fine...you have some knock, but all within reasonable/normal parameters.

To see if your tune is stock, copy it and view it on RR. Assuming it is open source tuned, you should be able to tell based on boost targets. Not sure what you would see if it is Cobb ap tuned.

I'm on my phone now but it looks fine to me. Will post more detailed post later. only thing i might look into is that 2.8 degrees of knock on the far right but since it wasn't present in your first lv which had significant mileage on it, I'd say your fine. it'll take a very long time to bleed off because you actually have to be at that RPM range to make it unlearn the knock.

I'm not sure if your '05 has this logic, but WRX, FXT and STi models will pull timing via FLKC in response to overboost.

I look for problems in part-load areas by logging longer drives, which is easily done if you log directly to SD card on the OP2.0 module.

Remember to log boost error. Look for the lines where FLKC is a negative number and check if that corresponds to negative values in the boost error column. It's a little counter-intuitive but when boost (manifold relative pressure) is lower than the boost target, the boost error is a positive value, and vice versa.

As I said, I'm not sure this sort of protection logic appears in your ECU but IMO it's worth the effort to log and check.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: I have now been officially tuned by infamous. Just a simple OTS stage 1 map. Mind telling me how my logs look?

On the Virtual Dyno, Blue is stock, red is Infamous stage 1. I think the peak hp for stock was a fluke right around 6100 rpms. Subsequent logs put it right around 180 peak hp.

romraiderlog_20121003_170340.csv

1248498235_LearningView_SS_10-3-201251255PM.jpg.1bbda31dc51753a73f05b6ba502c982d.jpg

935692053_beforeandafter.jpg.76c99d48766918599cdd85a9af8c6b01.jpg

Give it a little time and see if that little bit of knock goes away.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived