LegacyGT.com

05 LGT TOB whine - time for new clutch ?

SubOperator

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated
Great! Did the guy come down from PA as well?

I mean, I'm still in possession of the car. He put down a deposit while he works out finances. Hopefully he comes back down this weekend to buy it fo realz, but I don't know if he will.

I mean, I'm still in possession of the car. He put down a deposit while he works out finances. Hopefully he comes back down this weekend to buy it fo realz, but I don't know if he will.

Sorry, I meant the other 5MT center diff transfer driven bearings guy :lol:

• I Donated
Sorry, I meant the other 5MT center diff transfer driven bearings guy :lol:

Oh, you mean BoozeRS05. Nah, he couldn't get time to come down until like this next weekend, and I wanted this to be done for the people to come check the car out last weekend, which meant I started the weekend before.

• 2 weeks later...

So as the install is upcoming, I went and got new clutch fork just to have it handy when tranny comes off. Needles to say it is a cheap stamped piece of metal and it looks and feels like one. I can now see how guys with strong clutches can break clutch forks on their cars over time. Probably the design is the same since the days typical Subaru was pushing <100 hp at the crank.

I will definitely got mine replaced. Glad Paul asked me the question.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Last Sunday Paul (GTTuner) installed WRX SMFW, CM FX300 clutch, TSK3 kit and new clutch fork on my GT. The CV axle seals were also replaced.

The original OEM DMFW setup was actually in very good shape for 120K on AWD car, especially considering 3 seasons of autoxing and learning lessons my son took on the car while learning how to drive stick, plus couple autox and street survival schools. Could have easily lasted until the next year if not for the OEM TOB whining.

I do like the new setup. It did add some NVH and also some chatter on engine braking but not at the level where I would call it a problem. It's got a very nice slightly softer than OEM pedal feel and nice grab that I could feel. I cam moderate it fairly easy, may need to take few steep hills around here to le-learn the difference between DMFW and SMFW on AWD car.

Also, and I am not sure if this is a placebo effect, but it feels faster - I think this may be due to lighter FW allowing engine to build RPMs quicker.

Overall VERY happy. Thank you all for your input and suggestions! and thanks to Paul again !

Last Sunday Paul (GTTuner) installed WRX SMFW, CM FX300 clutch, TSK3 kit and new clutch fork on my GT. The CV axle seals were also replaced.

The original OEM DMFW setup was actually in very good shape for 120K on AWD car, especially considering 3 seasons of autoxing and learning lessons my son took on the car while learning how to drive stick, plus couple autox and street survival schools. Could have easily lasted until the next year if not for the OEM TOB whining.

I do like the new setup. It did add some NVH and also some chatter on engine braking but not at the level where I would call it a problem. It's got a very nice slightly softer than OEM pedal feel and nice grab that I could feel. I cam moderate it fairly easy, may need to take few steep hills around here to le-learn the difference between DMFW and SMFW on AWD car.

Also, and I am not sure if this is a placebo effect, but it feels faster - I think this may be due to lighter FW allowing engine to build RPMs quicker.

Overall VERY happy. Thank you all for your input and suggestions! and thanks to Paul again !

Congratulations. How much did you end up spending total, for parts and labor?

Total was just above $1000 for parts and $350 for labor. Parts list :

1. Clutch Master FX300 clutch

2. OEM WRX SMFW

3. TSK3 kit

4. 8 bolts for SMFW

5. 2 axle seals for tranny

6. clutch fork

I already had some Extra-S oil for tranny flush, you need just under 4 qt for the job cause it will be drained prior to axels coming out. Also, to take the OEM DMFW you need to have Torx Plus T50 bit. I got everything except for clutch fork from FBP where Ryan was of great assistance cross-checking the parts through VIN and making sure all concerns are addressed and all questions answered. FBP is a great service to our community.

Hope this helps !

• 2 weeks later...

So just about two weeks on new setup. LOVING IT. I take short trips during the week commute and long trip once on the weekend (~200 miles weekend one) so this far the things I can *somewhat* complain about are:

- slight chatter on decelaration;

- slight chatter when acceleratingout of high gear (same sound as at deceleration);

- my other tranny NVH is somewhat higher.

The things that are great is that control is so much better. The clutch pedal is just nice, very progressive feel to it, no pushing through the cement block like it was with OEM at the end of pedal travel. My left knee is absolutely gratefull. :) Not muh jerking even though it did make obvious that I need new motor mounts - something I thought of doing last year but put it off.

Overall, happy this far.

Archived