LegacyGT.com

What size nut on 95 Legacy L hub

I need to replace a lug and I assume the hub needs to come off to remove / replace the lug. I don't think I have a socket big enough and will need to visit my neighbor to borrow one. So I need to know the size of the hub retaining nut.

You can push lug studs out without pulling the hub.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

That is what I thought but then when I got in there it looked like I had to pull it to remove the rotor. Now that you tell me that I don't need to do it I guess --

1. Remove caliper

2. Remove caliper retaining plate

3. Remove rotor

4. Bang out broken stud

It was late last night and I wasn't thinking clearly.

Thanks.

You can push lug studs out without pulling the hub.

Rotate the hub, and you will find room. Worst case, just bend the shield out of the way.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

There is more than just removing the rotor on the rear wheel of this 95 Subbie Legacy L wagon.

Take notice of the plate behind the studs that will stop the studs from coming out the back. The plate can be removed but only if the hub is out. What the heck!!!!

It looks like that hub must come out....??????

Pics included.

Rotate the hub, and you will find room. Worst case, just bend the shield out of the way.

P8300024.JPG.956e2b7a55de43958c5e029b1ec68e47.JPG

P8300025.JPG.6d116eae4e203511abe9819225ae0077.JPG

P8300023.jpg.6450fcccc02dc46e4a70da35e1a6ce05.jpg

Yep, you haven't taken it far enough apart.

I assure you that you don't want to pull the hub. The slide-hammer work to get the hub off will require you to buy a new wheelbearing/hub assembly.

• I Donated

Use a hex key to take off those allen head bolts to get that plate (tone ring for ABS) that sits behind the studs out of the way. You should be able to just let it push back and have enough room to work with the studs.

Take apart MOAR STUFF

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

So if I loosen the ring, I can get enough room to remove the stubs. Before putting everything back together I did start to remove that ring and decided I would not get enough room.

Must I remove the emergency drum brake pads?

Darn, I put all my tools away. Tomorrow I'll take another stab at it.

Use a hex key to take off those allen head bolts to get that plate (tone ring for ABS) that sits behind the studs out of the way. You should be able to just let it push back and have enough room to work with the studs.

Take apart MOAR STUFF

Yep, removing the hub was not on my happy list --- that is for sure.

Yep, you haven't taken it far enough apart.

I assure you that you don't want to pull the hub. The slide-hammer work to get the hub off will require you to buy a new wheelbearing/hub assembly.

Ha ha ha! I'm smil'in.:icon_lol:

Yes I knew what you meant but there could be someone that would go cutting away at things they shouldn't cut.

I'm going to work on it again this morning. The reason I didn't go further yesterday removing the brake shoes was -

A: I haven't done drum shoes in probably 20 years and I couldn't find my tools

B: Looked like even if they were removed I wouldn't have room

But now that everyone says there will be room I'll check it out. Even though I don't have my tools I'll just use the old methods of grabbing the spring with pliers, etc.

You probably already know. However when I said the dremel helped me I meant I cut some deformed lugs out.

DO NOT CUT ANYTHING ELSE.

Thanks for all your help --- it is done!

The biggest PITA was doing the emergency brake shoes. IT had been a while and I forgot about dealing with springs. The hold down spring was rusted to the cup, that took a bit of WD40 and tO think there was a time that I could do drum brakes in the dark. That was thirty years ago and I did them every three months.

If it wasn't for the emergency shoe issue, from start to finish, the entire job is probably a half hour.

Oh yea Advanced Auto messed up. The nut and stud were in seperate bags, each with a part number. I didn't try the nut to the stud until I was ready to install it. The nut was course threads and the stud was fine threads. Went back, their computer showed it should work but the parts guy couldn't get it to work. Spent half an hour while he looked through a big box and finally I said....I'm off to NAPA. NAPA threaded the nut while I was there, which is good customer service protocol. I had not told NAPA about the problem, they took the initiative to check for me.

A big box service center wanted $70 to do the job. They said the hub must come off but I bet they do it the way I just did the job.

• I Donated
A big box service center wanted $70 to do the job. They said the hub must come off but I bet they do it the way I just did the job.

A lot of shops will tell you that a project is more labor intensive then it really is to scare you out of doing it if they think you're the kind of person who will go home and do it themselves. Its a dishonest scare tactic to make sales.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

A lot of shops will tell you that a project is more labor intensive then it really is to scare you out of doing it if they think you're the kind of person who will go home and do it themselves. Its a dishonest scare tactic to make sales.

Standard practice says to pull the hub. They may not have known that you could do it without.

Rebuilding the e-brake is a miserable job. One of my least favorite things to do.

Archived