LegacyGT.com

Wheel repair (cosmetic)

gimpydingo

The previous owner scratched up the rims against several curbs and I have yet to find new rims that I like. Any way to make them look newish again? I saw one other post without much of an answer - paint or sharpie or JB weld and sanding.

I found:

http://www.audiworld.com/tech/ext43.shtml

Will this affect the balancing?

Don't use bondo.

Use JB weld, mix the two compound together really good until it turn to a gray color. Apply that to the damaged surfaces. Make sure you let it sit at least 24 hours to cure on the rim. Then sand it down to smooth with the wheel surface.

Don't wet sand. Dry sand only, as water will loosen up the material and come apart. Even though I haven't seen it happen. It's best to dry sand it smooth.

I have no control over drippie.

All 4 rims have scratches (def need new ones). I typically don't hit curbs, except one time I popped over the edge of a curb/corner and my tire slid down the edge of the curb and slashed the tire. Took it to a place that handles the Continental warranties, got a new tire free of charge (didn't even pay for install).

I'll give the JB a try and will pick up some bondo as well, since I am going to make a new grill anyway. I'll give it a go this weekend and let you know. I know to let that cure for at least 24 hours.

Thanks!!

There is a product by evercoat called rage. It is much different and far superior to bondo.

I have used it on my older wagon after trying to use bondo. That stuff is garbage.

You won't be disappointed with this stuff.

I got it at my local body shop supply store MacDonalds Auto Parts.

Like I said it's very easy to work with and sands like a dream.

Good luck!

Looks like I'll have to order evercoat. There's 3M body filler at every shop around here.

What about the JB Weld steelstick? I've used similar to fix a rusty washing machine and just painted over with porcelain paint.

I'm probably getting too much into this whole topic for a somewhat simple fix...get new rims haha

I just hate jb weld so I wouldn't recommend it. You could always use jb quick weld but I'm unsure if your results will be the same as using the original.

All those dirtbiking aluminum sticks (MSR, Renthal) should work too.

The MSR one is called quick aluminum I believe. You want to talk about hard as a rock? Try that stuff. I don't think it molds to the wheel well enough when compared to original jb weld or the rage.

Give it a try and you can always do it over...

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll see what I can find and post my results.

I like the idea of having winter and summer tires. Though the winters in NorCal are not that harsh, unless when we get "snow" that one time out of the year.

Plus this would help save my Continentals that I am eating through. Guess I'll have to use the warranty and get my next set discounted. :)

Ask around the auto parts stores and body shops. Someone will recommend a wheel place that can fix your wheels and make them look new.

Sometimes for as little as $60.00 bucks each, depends how bad they are.

For those with Spec B wheels, the cost of the paint, hyper-silver is very expensive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived