LegacyGT.com

base map for Cobb AP

prodrifterx

i was wondering if anyone knew of any base maps or who i could consult to get a base map from, for my LGT with catless pipes and stock intake. i am having a drivability issue that i am leaning towards a tune being my issue. unless its a MAF and tune issue in relation to having catless pipes and undivorced bellmouth. i have no problem going for a pro-tune/dyno-tune but i don't want to do that until i know for certain that there is not a hard part failure in progress. i havent gotten an email/phone call reply back from cobb as i sent them an email monday late.

w/o much time on my hands i havent browsed all the threads or stickies but is there any that stand out i shoudl chk out.

tia.

I remember Cobb used to have the Accessport maps on their website. But they've recently updated the site, so I'm not sure where they're located. Btw you have to have Accessport in order foe the maps to work. Are you tuned for your aftermarket parts? If not, then I'm pretty sure that's the problem.

i think thats my primary issue that im running a Cobb OTS map (stage 2/ 93 octane) which is intended for a catted turbo back, while i removed up pipe cats and downpipe cats and am using the oem cbe. i think the flow in the 2-3k rpm range is confusing and messing with the system/sensors.

found archived and current maps on cobb's site, yet for the LGT they dont have maps like they do for the sti/wrx/forster. and doubt a 05 LGT map will work in the 06 LGT. i would be tempted to try the STU SCCA gt100 map that exists in the archive for 05 LGT. but sti and wrx for instance have HWG and LWG maps and stage 3 and stage 3 also exists for the forster.

hesitation/flat spot only between 2-3k...most noticeable in 4th/5th gears more so at 2400-2800 rpm. no misfires. mild-high knock count imo of 30-40 counts in 1.5-2.0hrs of driving for 40-60 miles (my routes home from Arlington). (cobbs site states otherwise that the knock count cant always be considered accurate which i know that phantom knocks exist but that seems bit much) drives fine otherwise. before mods and before tune always used 93octane or 92octane as available and always at exxons or wawa or sunoco unless no other option. havent ran a fuel sys treatment, nor replaced internal fuel filter. have not cleaned maf and tb but since it didnt occur before the mods and is only at a certain load and rpm range then i doubt its these items causing the issue.

only engine mods include:

catless up pipe (invidia)

catless down pipe (cnt)

cobb ap with the OTS stage 2 map. have tried 91 and 93.

(no difference in performance nor in drivability issue)

k&n stock filter. air chamber/reservoir prior to filter gone, with box and ram air tube still attached.

the downpipe is solid one piece and has an undivorced bellmouth and is 3"

the stock catback is still in use.

regasketed and sealed anything removed during repairs (clutch job/general maintenance/exhaust/etc)

no issues prior to mods/repairs.

91k miles. 2006 LGT. 5spd manual.

daily driven 90-100miles work alone. (md to dc/va)

have chkd over and datalogged.

have picked other mechanics (ones w/ and w/o racing/modifying experience...both in diesel and light duty/motorcycle fields) brains...we are all leaning towards tune/maf being thrown off

have had buddy/race guy (tons of experience in spocom/nhra etc racing) drive and evaluate.

have had a driver/tuner evaluate it.

before i put oem/stock downpipe back on for testing purposes, i am hoping to come across a base map option to try for my setup/conditions, or maybe try a known good maf from someone for a half day of datalogging and comparing to the maf i have.

suggestions or correct me if wrong ...etc. tia

also still trying to figure out my datalogs as there is alot of data to try and process in an excel document when there isnt a graph made up. so to evaluate the data in odd second increments and rpm increments for the moments it was taking snapshots, rather than in a graph form is taking some braing-racking to understand and picture in my head. also trying to understand what ranges or expected flow numbers are supposed to be seen in the maf and what duty cycle and error numbers one should see regarding boost and wastegate etc

So when exactly does the problem manifest itself, and in what way? You're flooring it in 4th/5th starting from 2K RPM? And... what, boost seems to build up slowly or something? That's what I meant when I asked you to describe the problem more specifically.

As far as maps go, I believe 05/06 ECUs are the same, so any map for an 05 should work for an 06... at least I believe that's the case with OpenSource. Not sure what sort of differences the COBB maps would have between the years though... maybe they do something to it.

Also, post up a log of WOT in 3rd and 4th from 2K-redline, and 5th from 2500 to redline. Well, okay, not redline in 4th and 5th... but a good pull to at least 3500-4000 in each would be ideal. Understandable if you can't though.... don't want you to get hurt or in trouble.

1/2 to full throttle. mainly in 4th and 5th. occasionally in 3rd. starts about 2000/2200 and lasts til about 2800. sometimes only til 2600 sometimes til 3000. depends on the load. boost seems ok. its hesitating. like its building boost and running fine but is hiccuping and having a flat-spot issue (or a hesiation and misfire like condition causing a bucking/breaking up issue). yet no misfires. if i recall WG duty cycle never exceeds 90, and boost psi never exceeds 16.2 psi. i think i had a max flow on one ignition (dont recall if i datalogged it) of 145 g/s for the maf and a low point probably at idle of 4 g/s when i was watching only that parameter for the ignition cycle. i floor it at whatever point i can to pull a datalog or to get the condition to manifest its self. depends on traffic/police/weather conditions as i go to and from work. also unsure what data is going to be more pertinent to watch so i can limit the number of items being datalogged. i keep adjusting waht to watch and what to ignore in my datalog files, yet i am watching:

maf g/s and voltage info

map info

wastgate duty cycle and max info

rpm info

tip in enrich info i believe

time of course

primary igniton info

DAM and Dynamic Advance info

Boost target and Boost info

Calculated Load info

Coolant temp info

Intake temp info

EGT info

Gear Position

Feedback knock, knock sum, knock active, and knock learn info

vehicle speed info

throttle pos perct info

all on my latest datlog. ive got 20 datalogs some just during the act up. some a little before and after. some for the entire drive time. some botched. all dated to best of my knowledge as sometimes i forgot to upload on that day.

I would datalog this to start with to eliminate boost control and turbo dynamic problems:

RPM

throttle opening angle

turbo dynamics integral

turbo dynamics proportional

boost error

manifold pressure (boost)

primary wastegate duty cycle

MAF g/s

Intake temperature

those are the bare minimum things i would log. i usually log a LOT more in romraider but RR has the ability to pull a lot more data a lot more quickly. you have an AP so sacrifices will have to be made to maintain logging resolution.

If we can eliminate boost control problems, then you can look into other things.

ok. how should i break my logs down in terms of say size and length? we talking maybe two logs in 4th gear from 1000-4000 and maybe 2 in 5th and two in 3rd. then two at a steady load from 2-5th gears? and only long enough to get the data? all on same ignition cycle or new ignition cycle for each?

(side note where can i find info on RR and other programs to use the AP and that program to pull better datalogs with/without a laptop in car.

Break it down however you want as long as it's exhibiting the problem you're having... Preferably don't make them ginormous. Dunno why you'd be driving around 1000RPM in 3rd, 4th, or 5th... Your RPMs should never be that low in those gears unless you're coasting with no throttle at all.

WOT in 3rd from 2K up to redline or wherever you can.

WOT in 4th from 2K up to wherever you can.

WOT in 5th from 2500 up to wherever you can.

Be careful doing the above because you'll get up to very high speed. Redline in 3rd is something like 90MPH...

And then whatever partial throttle logs you want to give me where you're having the problem.

As far as ROMRaider goes, check the stickies at the top about the VAGCOM cable.

• 10 months later...

im thinking fuel issue and not vacuum leak and not boost issue. going lean. what items should i consider logging/watching. i notice my a/f correction 1 hits 25% then 0% at part throttle. sometimes its 0% and sometimes its 25% at wot. itll go negative but not much. idle it runs clean. straight 14.4-14.8 typically.

fairly certain after consulting a buddy it surely is a tune issue and both maf and fuel tables need adjusted but what should i be logging incase an e tune can be done or so i can better understand whats happening

• 2 weeks later...

Archived