LegacyGT.com

wheel bearing noise

my 96 wagon L has 147k miles and i humming noise when i drive at any speed and when i brake i feel the car and the steering wheel shake.

what i need help is how do i remove the wheel bearing and or the hub assembly? its on the front, left and right side.

Confirm that it is the bearings before replacing, because it is one of the least desirable jobs to do on this car. They are press in bearings. Hold the struts spring while spinning the wheel. If you feel any vibration transmitted to the spring, that is 1 indication of faulty bearings.

The vibrating steering wheel while braking is a classic sign of warped front rotors. The consensus here would be replace the rotors, (if doing the job yourself), as opposed to machining them due to the relatively low cost of the parts. Replace the pads with a good quality pad. Don't skimp here by getting some $20 cheapies from the parts store. You will find many opinions on which pad to use on this forum. Just keep your thinking practical, ex... don't install rotor-eating race pads on a daily driver.

RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Archived