LegacyGT.com

Clutch dying prematurely? Slipping issues.

Brock Samson

almost exactly the same situation, went stg2 around 80k, im at about 83k and im getting slip in 4th/5th gear, occasionally in 3rd gear at WOT.

i think im leaning towards a comp stage 2.

RedDawg - I'm leaning that way myself after research, future mod plans, and input from Mike @ IP&T that was quite helpful in the decision making process.

The one thing I'm pondering now is the LWFW requirement for the Comp. I don't mind an extra throttle blip from a start due to less inertia. Holding power is proven and it would be easier for rev matching. The CM FX300 would be more DD suitable in regards to pedal feel. With the plans of a 68HTA and E85, I don't want to push the limits of the FX300, or even worse exceed them. Guess I just made up my mind.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stage 2 would be the absolute max I would ever tune this car to. Realistically I'd rather save money on tuning this car to spend on a track rat miata or e30.

So with Stage 1-1.5 in mind, what clutch would be best to maintain daily driveability and get the most lifespan?

Angeltalin, you had to remove axles to pull the tranny?

I'm also still wondering about removing the turbo since I want to pull the UP and banjo bolt filter at the same time.

Realistically at stage 1 & 2, the OEM Clutch will give you the best driveability.

You don't have to remove the axles, just pull them out and zip tie them out of the way when dropping the tranny.

My wife's balls are delicious.

I doubt you'd exceed the FX300 with a 68HTA.

Look at the OEM SMFW/ACT HDSS as well

Even on E85? MSprank said that setup was pushing around 400WHP for him and that he hasn't pushed the FX300 that far (although he also didn't say it wouldn't hold it either - just that he had no experience at that level with the CM).

I actually have a local here (mattg) with the ACT, and the pedal is too stiff for my taste in a DD. I've been told neither the COMP or the CM have that stiff of a pedal. I can handle more stiffness than stock, but the pedal feel of the ACT felt like I was kicking a brick wall.

Stage 2 would be the absolute max I would ever tune this car to. Realistically I'd rather save money on tuning this car to spend on a track rat miata or e30.

So with Stage 1-1.5 in mind, what clutch would be best to maintain daily driveability and get the most lifespan?

Angeltalin, you had to remove axles to pull the tranny?

I'm also still wondering about removing the turbo since I want to pull the UP and banjo bolt filter at the same time.

Yup it was easy just followed the vacation pics unhooked the endlink and balljoint from control arm and the two bolts from the strut and pulled right out

StageIII Cryotune-Kinugawa STS TD06H-20GTX 9 blade turbine, ID1000, DW65c, 73mm MegaMAF , GS EWG up-pipe, Downpipe and EBCS, FMS FMIC, TGV Delete, Brembo swap

• 2 months later...

Exedy FJK1001FW kit from Amazon. For a car I'm not going to really add much horsepower to, I think its a great option. I love the pedal feel, and I think my wife will like it too.

If I was going to go full stage 2, I would definitely have gone for a heavier clutch.

Brock - I noticed your problem started in August. My 05GT 4th & 5th slip now (at 130,000 miles). I wonder if you kept driving it without problems from then until last weekend. How many miles did you drive? Not that i'm trying to put it off until I get stranded, just wondering if i have some time to figure this out and if I can drive the car at all.

I was stage 2 when my clutch started going. It deteriorated noticeably within about 3 weeks. It started out as not being able to hold WOT in 4th and 5th. Then it got worse and was holding fine in 1,2 and 3, but 4 and 5 would slip on the highway even under moderate acceleration. Don't put it off too long.

Brock - I noticed your problem started in August. My 05GT 4th & 5th slip now (at 130,000 miles). I wonder if you kept driving it without problems from then until last weekend. How many miles did you drive? Not that i'm trying to put it off until I get stranded, just wondering if i have some time to figure this out and if I can drive the car at all.

Yes, we were able to drive it between then and now, with some serious caveats. I think we probably only put 600-800 miles on it in that time:

-My wife and I commute by bus and bike, so we are not dependent on this car to get to work

-It will just get progressively worse as you put miles on it. At the end we could not drive our car on the freeway as it couldn't maintain even 60mph without the clutch slipping some in 4th or 5th. We had to avoid hills, particularly steep, fast hills.

-1st and 2nd will probably continue to work fairly well for you for quite some time. We largely were just running to the grocery store a couple miles, under 30 mph. 3rd was starting to do some serious slipping at the end as well.

-Keep the engine under 3k revs. I noticed the turbo kicking in was causing most of the slipping.

-The clutch disc was in really, really, REALLY bad shape when I pulled it out of the car. I'm not sure how much longer it would have lasted, but not long. I'm pretty sure the job would be a lot more miserable if the clutch disc disintegrates (and you'll probably get stranded somewhere).

Finally, I was supposed to get this job done about a month ago, but I ran into some family medical problems that delayed the job longer than I liked.

So, Invar is right. Delaying this job is a serious gamble, and you really shouldn't put it off.

Thanks to all on this thread! i see the 06 wrx SM clutch kit on amazon for $300 but w/o FW. I noticed the OEM 06 wrx will need matching FW which is $250 on subaruonlineparts.com. not sure where people are finding $100 OEM flywheels. all i want is a stock SMFW setup. I'd settle for the OEM DMFW clutch kit for $300 if I knew I didn't need to replace the flywheel. I don't want to pay labor twice by finding out after clutch install that i should have replaced the FW too. I'm 130k on the OEM setup and don't envision having the car much more than another 40k so not too concerned with exceeding OEM performance. how much should I be paying for labor? seems most here are DIY so haven't found much on labor cost. I want to keep cost down but don't want to cut corners on something stupid either. please offer advice.

In Michigan I would think you're going to be paying like $400-600 for labor. Its a big job. Here in Seattle pretty much the best I could find a reliable place to do it was $800 in labor...$1200 total parts and labor was the quote I think.

You can buy the clutch kit [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EO2YR2/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B002EO2YR2&linkCode=as2&tag=latemarm-20]here[/ame] and take it to a mechanic to install, you could just say you were going to DIY but had a change of heart. Make sure on that link to click on "more buying choices" as Performance Parts sells it for $120 less than Amazon- shipping didn't take long either.

Get rid of the OEM DMFW.

Thanks! I'm on it like a flywheel on a clutch plate! However, when searching for pricing, I I noticed a post on NASOIC indicating this setup doesn't fit the 2000.5 LGT. Not sure if its true. Can you confirm your model year? Another post listed this as the cutoff for 2000 vs 2000.5. "wagon with VIN of 5*325777 or higher, either with a build date of Aug 2, 2004 or later." as it turns out mine is a 2005.5, just to make me nervous enough not to buy until I confirm.

Anyone else know if 2005 vs. 2005.5 matters for the clutch part numbers?

• 1 month later...
Sorry to ressurect an old thread, but any comments on how quickly the clutch will go if it starts slipping? A few weeks of gentle daily driving? A few days? I know it's just a guestimate but wondered what folks had experienced. May post up a separate thread.

No one can even guestimate. It depends on your driving style, driving conditions, etc. I've seen people say they've limped around on a stock slipping clutch for 2+ months. My own experience is that mine got really bad in less than 3 weeks. Daily driver, mixed driving, 20 miles per day, mixed stop-and-go and highway (NYC). And I was trying to baby it.

Archived