LegacyGT.com

Powder coat or not to powder coat?

sashadg1

I have a GTspec uel header going on to a new motor, should I have it coated? I heard you need to contain as much heat as possible for the turbo to spool better, more pressure.

Will it be worth doing or not matter much?

Thank you,

Scott

You don't powdercoat exhaust components.

You could have it coated by other means, like Swaintech or something. It'll cost you though.

At the very least, wrap it with header wrap.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

...I did not want to mess with wrap stuff and then have it fall apart later on down the road if it got wet.

Wrapping is more effective than coating. Use TI wrap and it will last as long as the headers do.

Last I checked TI was Titanium on the periodic table of elements:p

"Titanium exhaust wrap

Withstands 1800˚F direct/2500˚F intermittent heat

Promotes increased flow for improved performance

Reduces temperature & vibration breakdown

Extremely pliable for a tight and secure wrap

DEI HT Silicone Coating not required

Pre-wetting roll not necessary for wrapping

Hi-tech carbon fiber look

High resistance to abrasions, oil spills, temperatures and vibration breakdown"

I know that but it will fall apart in time. That time idk, but it will and it is not fully titanium. It has Ti in it That is it.It is what you want to use. We have drag racers,track racers. some use ceramic coating and some use a wrap. There is no proof that one or the other is better. My ceramic coating holds the same 1800 deg/2500 as wrap does. Look at the NASCAR boys and girls, they dont use it and race for hrs with extream engine temps!!!

I never said Ti wrap is 100% Ti. Saying "thats it" is silly as it suggests that it to integrate spun lava rock and other things is a problem when it is to improve insulation properties. NASCAR guys are silly as hell. How about we go out and get our headers really hot and see how can keep their bare hand on it the longest. The well wrapped one or the coated. I already know my choice.

IMO if you have the lower engine cover on, the DEI heat wrap should last a long time. I hold mine on the up/dp with lock wire.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived