LegacyGT.com

Okay Keefe, whadya think?

Triple Digits

I decided to hold off on wheel and tire choices until I got the drop settled - I finally got my iON's on so I'm lowered 1 1/8" in the front and an inch in the back.

Now the hard part starts... it's almost as if the RE92a's look lamer now than ever - not that they were ever a visual powerhouse...

Will a 225/45/17 straighten this out or am I doomed to have to go to 18's?

As far as 18's go I've been eyeballing (the very economically priced) Kazera KZA's in sliver, OZ SuperLeggra's in Silver, and I like Work Emotion CRs too, but I'm not sure how the gunmetal will hook up with my ABP.

Like the title says, whdaya think?

DSCF0038cs.JPG.960daca3c7406c9d5b586b77b318611e.JPG

DSCF0040cs.JPG.92801ffa3ecc8a7e5b5620d48ce4ec3f.JPG

DSCF0023cs.JPG.de40ed147ce4a8f46b8e7dd534d93c1f.JPG

I know I am not Keefe and will not reach his knowledge level ever unless I really put the effort (which I don't want to :p), but my opinion is go for the 18"s with Work Emotion CRs :). Gunmetal will look good.
-ben

not to be a pic whore, but here are two examples of gun-metal/anthracite on the ABP

cars:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/DSCN3180.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/DSCN3247.jpg

I decided to hold off on wheel and tire choices until I got the drop settled - I finally got my iON's on so I'm lowered 1 1/8" in the front and an inch in the back.

Now the hard part starts... it's almost as if the RE92a's look lamer now than ever - not that they were ever a visual powerhouse...

Will a 225/45/17 straighten this out or am I doomed to have to go to 18's?

As far as 18's go I've been eyeballing (the very economically priced) Kazera KZA's in sliver, OZ SuperLeggra's in Silver, and I like Work Emotion CRs too, but I'm not sure how the gunmetal will hook up with my ABP.

Like the title says, whdaya think?

I am not sure if you want big rims or big tires or whatever you are trying to achieve with a particular look. I have rims of all sizes and they all have a reason of why they are in my garage (namely only 17" and 18" rims). If you want to scare ricers, just get a set of wide rims (doesnt matter if it's 17" or 18").

The 17"s will really show that you have taste in speed since it's a preferred racing size (less weight to begin with anyways).

The 18"s is a street credit for style (unless you have some big brakes to clear). I usually laugh at ricers that think they are fast street racers who run on something silly like a set of 205/30/19 tires on their civics (with stock 8.5" brakes) and think they have grip when really a IT Honda Civic race car uses 15x8.5 rims (with 12" big brake rotors) running 245/40/15 tires all around with some superlight weight 9.2 lbs rims.

In all, it's still your choice on what you want. Usually, running wide is my taste on what you want (speed or style). I chose speed over style because style is soo subjective to opinions whereas speed is more absolute and we all know when we see a fast car, it's a fast car (IE: a 9 second car is a 9 second car or a car with grip is really a car with grip).

Keefe

Keefe

It boils down to this -

I've gotten 17.5k out of the RE92a's and they are going to be gone before the temperature drops again. I'm probably picking up a set of PZN M&S.

The question I'm wrestling with is will it be in the stock size on the stock rim, +0 with a 225/45 on the stock rim, or +1 with a 225/40/18 on the KZA's.

I really don't much care for the shoulder on the stock RE92a, the way the rim protector transitions up to the shoulder and the both of those in relation to the wheel just make it appear smaller than it is.

I've seen plenty of 225/45/17 applications that look damn good and just when I'd settled on 17's - a Carerra parks behind me with those 225/40/18's on the front and it was just too damn easy to visualize them on my car.

The PZN M&S is most likely the appropriate tire choice for me. I want a meatier looking shoulder on the tire than is currently evident with the stock tires. Is the lame shoulder a function of the 215 size in conjunction with our stock rims - or the RE92a's themselves - and will it be addressed by either the PZN M&S in 215/54/17 on stockers; a 225/45/17 PZN M&S on stockers; the 225/40/18 PZN M&S on the KZAs; or all or none of the above?

This is my year-round daily driver that will never get closer to a track (or cones) than the parking area. What I put on the car will stay on the car.

Guest clawdnb
235/40/18 bfg kdw2....thats what im gonna do assuming i can fit it on my car without rubbing when dropped on ion springs

18" rims in the snowbelt on our cars dont have much sidewall for potholes. I thought this over recently and went with 17" x 7 1/2" wheels.

Tire Rack doesn't have specs for the 215/45/17 RE92A but by the calculation

215mm section width / 25.4 mm per inch = 8.46 inches x .45 aspect ratio = yields a 3.809 inch unloaded sidewall height

The published spec for a 225/40/18 PZN M&S is 8.9 inches x .40 aspect ratio = yields a 3.56 inch unloaded sidewall height

That means the difference in unloaded sidewall heights is .249 inches.

Is less than a quarter inch difference really going to make that much difference?

Tire Rack doesn't have specs for the 215/45/17 RE92A but by the calculation

215mm section width / 25.4 mm per inch = 8.46 inches x .45 aspect ratio = yields a 3.809 inch unloaded sidewall height

The published spec for a 225/40/18 PZN M&S is 8.9 inches x .40 aspect ratio = yields a 3.56 inch unloaded sidewall height

That means the difference in unloaded sidewall heights is .249 inches.

Is less than a quarter inch difference really going to make that much difference?

Get what you like. I looked at another car with 225/40/18's and to me it looked like too snug on the sidewall for my likeing. Many people get them so they must sorta work. As far as function the 17's are just as good. If you want the 18's dont let me stop you.

Get what you like. I looked at another car with 225/40/18's and to me it looked like too snug on the sidewall for my likeing. Many people get them so they must sorta work. As far as function the 17's are just as good. If you want the 18's dont let me stop you.

Well I hear ya - and I won't kid you, I am on the fence on this one. I think there are variations based on rim widths that they are mounted on and between marked and actual sizes too - I've also seen 225/40/18's that looked stretched and those that looked okay. (And the 225/45's that are on the Z's and X8's look like too much sidewall too me.)

But the original question was really what will it take to get a better looking shoulder than the stock tire's?

it depends if you see 1/4" a differece as a big or small difference. For your case, either tire is really fine, but if you want to save money (which is really thea main concern here because of the tire you are choosing and such already told me what you are getting), just get a 225/45/17 tire instead. This will give you enough meat on the road, not have to worry about swapping tires and not having to worry about cost as much if you were to have a set of 18" rims and tires to deal with.

Keefe

Keefe

Archived