LegacyGT.com

Single mass conversion?

Zac88

I purchased a spec stage2+ clutch from a member here that said its for a 06 wrx, I couldnt see any part numbers on it so I assume its the right one?

He did not send me the clutch alighnment tool is this a problem? Can I order another one??

Also can I use any wrx flywheel from any year? What about lightweight? Do I need special flywheel bolts for single mass?

I know you cant use early wrx flywheels because they used to have pull style clutches. I dont remember which year they switched to push style like ours, and then there was a year or two where they did dual mass like us. Pretty much if that clutch kit was meant for single mass and push style you can use an 07+ 5spd flywheel out of an LGT or WRX

Spec offers a clutch for the dual mass set up on the LGT, however if you do not replace it it will chatter, IIRC you cannot resurface a DM flywheel. My personal opinion (from my experience) is the spec works well but doesn't last. I have 40K on my Spec stage 2 and its slipping. I got more mileage out of my OE clutch and I abused that one more that this Spec, believe it or not.

Pretty sure you need the spec flywheel with the spec clutch...

I don't even see a Spec flywheel listed here:

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/all.html?subaru=272&search=View+Products&cat=23

Not that that's conclusive, but if FBP is selling the spec clutch kit and a spec flywheel were required, they would almost assuredly tell you in the description, and they'd offer a package deal, and at the very least, they'd have it listed somewhere.

I ordered a spec flywheel for 06 wrx fitment. Apparently this combo will work as long as I get 06 wrx flywheel bolts. Also ordered the TSK3 Snout repair week.

Checking in, You should be fine with the 06 wrx FW, it should use oem FW hex head bolts. My Spec LWFW that I bought when I bought the Spec 2+ clutch (back in Jun07) uses OEM DMFW bolts which are the Torx Plus 50 bit, which you can get the bit from Fredbeans as well as the hex head bolts.

You can also go to Spec's website and order a alignment tool, if you can't find it, call them.

Your not that close to me, or I'd let you borrow mine.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm guessing yes to both questions. It will be much easier to line up the splines for the tranny with the tool.

Without it, it's a crap shoot.

You don't want to reuse the torx plus bolts if you don't have too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

You will need to get a torx-plus bit to remove the bolts on your flywheel.

What is recommended then is to use the WRX (normal hex) bolts and do not reuse the torx plus.

In the process of doing the clutch in my LGT right now so have just finished researching this to death.

Went with a CM-300 and WRX single mass fly wheel.

You will need to get a torx-plus bit to remove the bolts on your flywheel.

What is recommended then is to use the WRX (normal hex) bolts and do not reuse the torx plus.

In the process of doing the clutch in my LGT right now so have just finished researching this to death.

Went with a CM-300 and WRX single mass fly wheel.

Hey I live in Edmonton too!

Most likely getting Apex to do my clutch.

So I'll need WRX specific flywheel bolts then?

Hey I live in Edmonton too!

Most likely getting Apex to do my clutch.

So I'll need WRX specific flywheel bolts then?

Yes.

You can reuse the OEM bolts. It doesn't make a difference - the WRX are hex bolts and can use a standard socket to remove or install. The torx bolts aren't as hard as everyone makes them out to be for getting off. Find a bit and use a screwdriver to hold the flywheel in place while you unbolt them. I loctite (blue) and torque them to the appropriate torque value. I believe it is 53 ft-lb.

Archived