LegacyGT.com

Need Help - 06 Legacy - Wrong Oil?

I took my car into wal mart :eek: for an oil change, and they put 5W20 (mobil1) in my car instead of 5W30. Is that bad? They also said my rear differential is leaking. Im just over the 100K mile mark (non turbo), what kind of tune up would you recommend? I am tight on $$ so I want to ask the dealership for specific prices instead of dropping off the car and seeing a huge bill when I go to pick it up :confused:

Any tips would be much appreciated

There are actually uoa's on bobistheoilguy.com of n/a owner's running 20 weight oil and the uoa was fine. Also most 5W-30 Resource Conserving oil will shear to a 20 weight, even in an n/a car.

Having said that, I would still want to run the proper oil and not take chances. Especially since this was a Wal-Mart fail.

-Dennis

You don't need to go to the dealer for repairs.

Find a good repair shop in your area and do all your business with them. If your happy with their work be sure and let them know. You want to get to know them and that well have paybacks later as you become a known customer to them.

I get small stuff done for free with my guy. He changes over wheels and tires and balances the four for $40.00. Alignment is $40.00 when I need one.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks I took it back and had them correct the mistake. I have a garage mechanic that I usually use, but I need to take the car in for smog and a manufacture recall. I was just thinking of how much more convenient it is to have them do it real quick while the car was there

Your first mistake was going to Walmart for an oil change. It's an easy job to do yourself. Buy your oil from Walmart and do it yourself.

The rear diff is easy to see. Get under your car with a flashlight and see if you can verify the leak.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived