LegacyGT.com

6MT growl at low RPM and reverse lockout rattle

dspecbl

I have 08 spec.B and just put a ACT HDSS clutch and a factory STi flywheel in my car. I have read all the threads about the growl you will get under deceel with this setup and I do get that just a little but what I now get is a loud growl under low RPM, like just enough throttle to maintain speed going up my hill at 25mph in 3rd gear. That is about 1900-2000 RPM. I can floor it and it just does it louder. As soon as I get to about 2300 RPM or about 27-28 mph it goes away. Anyone else experience this? I can get it to do it in all gears but that just seems to be the one that I notice it most cause I have a 1 mile hill I climb to get to my house and the speed limit is 25mph. I also have a rattle in the gear stick while cruising that is annoying as hell. If I lift on the reverse lockout or put pressure on the stick in any direction it goes away. But if I just drive like normal human the thing rattles like crazy on the inside of the stick....is there any adjustment to that reverse lockout rod in the center?

How much power are you putting down? My full sti clutch swap is almost completely silent and its holding 360wtq without issue for the time being. Based on that I'd suggest ditching the ACT crap and going exedy oem. (unless you are running some ridiculous power).
lol

I am not putting down much. I am only stage 2 with a OTS map. I went with this one because it is what I could find the most reviews on and everyone seemed to like it. I was thinking about doing the exedy hyper stage one clutch kit but rule it out because it had a 6 puck disc. Now I am thinking I could deal with the shuttery take off more than the growl going home everyday for lunch and after work. And the rattling just driving down the road. Could it be lugging the motor even at that high of a RPM with the lighter flywheel. Cause my factory one was 24 and the STi one is 19. Just doesn't make sense.

Noone has any idea's as to what it is? Or to what a fix would be, other than a different clutch, sorry. Also the reverse lockout rattle? Please help, I need to know if the car should be getting driven or not? It is my DD and I need it.

Rattle is normal especially during break-in. Mine still does it when I'm decelerating. Yours sounds a bit worse than it should be, especially since you're on an OEM flywheel. Who did the install and how long ago? I had the dealership install a clutch on my LGT wagon and they screwed up the clutch fork, but I just fixed it myself.

I had the Subaru dealership I work at install it. That was on a Wednesday and then that Saturday I went to Billings, MT and back. So I have put any easy 800 miles on it already. So what was wrong with the shift fork. I am going to have another tech, the one I wanted to do the work but is a Toyota tech, look at it for/with me. What should I be looking for. Thanks Chad!

Did you also install STI Group N or other hardened bushings? And you will notice that the car lugs more with a lightened flywheel, just because you don't have as much inertia working for you.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I put in a group N trans mount and shifter pivot and Perrin shifter bushings about 10k miles ago. Also, I was told to break the clutch in the same way I will drive the car. So I have been not drivin like a grandma, but I sure am not tryin to launch the car either. I take off and then get on it! Lol. Also figured a 700 mile drive on te freeway really doesn't do much for break in. It just spins. It needs stop and go to break in doesn't it?

So why does it sound like the trans is going to blow up in low rpm conditions? Sounds like there is no fluid in the trans, front diff or rear diff. Until about 2400 rpm. Under that it has a nasty growl. The decel growl is not bad, easyily able to deal with. But the accel growl scare me and makes people turn their head driving up the hill to come home. Just don't know what to look for. Cause this cannot be a normal sound fora clutch swap.

Actually no, I will do that right now. Didn't think that should be an issue since I have not seen any drips and the dealer did the install. No reason to empty the fluid to do a clutch. But I am going to go check now.

That is not it. Fluid level is just a hair under full mark and way above the low mark. I think I am going to have them put the car back up in the air and make for sure everything is hooked up right and nothing is loose and just giving me a terrible rattle. Bit it doesn't sound like a rattle.

Archived