LegacyGT.com

The dreaded cat code (P0420) keeps coming back so I guess I'll have to replace it to stay legal. Where's a good inexpensive place to get one and what are my options (if any).

I would order a replacement from Walker or look for a lower mileage used cat section from a 2004 Impreza, Forester, Legacy.

Make sure the rear O2 sensor is functioning properly before replacing a cat. 9/10 times, the cat is not the problem.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The rear O2 was replaced a couple months ago along with the knock sensor. The front one was tested and read good. I've replaced everything else that could cause the P0420 code and the cat is all that is left. 160K mostly highway miles so I guess I can't complain too much. I bought the Walker one and got gaskets from Subaru. Just waiting to get another vehicle back up and running before I put it in the shop.

• 3 years later...
I guess you can say I put the pro in crastination. 25k miles and 3 1/2 years later I finally got round to replacing my cat. Bought an OEM direct replacement off Amazon back then and have been carrying it around in my truck ever sense until the other day. No more CEL, no more P0420. Wonder how long it will take me to getting round to the struts that have been sitting in storage for as long.

Archived