LegacyGT.com

Clunk Noise on front left wheel - Subaru Legacy

gciriani

In the past week a noise on the front left wheel side started becoming every day louder. It has the same frequency as the rotation of the wheel. The vibration can be felt on the steering wheel as well. Any suggestion as to what it could be?

It is louder when not accelerating, slightly accelerating or rolling in neutral; it goes away in strong accelerations and when braking. A few days ago it would be apparent only above 40 mph; now it is very loud even at 30 mph.

The mechanic said it could be the axle CV joint, but probably not the ball bearing; it could even be the transmission in his opinion. He injected some grease in the booth of the axle to see if this was going to change anything, but there was no change.

Eventually we decided to try replace the axle, but as he started taking down the wheel and extracting a couple of pins, he became more convinced that the axle was OK, so he recommended that I take the car to the dealer to diagnose if it was indeed the transmission.

When I left the mechanic's garage the noise had disappeared, and never came back by the time I reached the dealer. So I didn't go through any diagnostics as it would be wasted money.

Any suggestion on what this could be, and what to check? The car is a Subaru 2003 Legacy station wagon with 118,000 miles on it, 2.5 L engine.

Thanks for the suggestion. As a matter of fact two months ago the mechanic replaced all front brake rotors and pads. And prior to this clunk on the left side, there was a grinding on the right side. Do you think it's possible something got loose after the brakes got settled? I'll have him check, but difficult to believe since he hoisted the car already twice, and took down the wheels to see if something was loose.

• 1 month later...
Had a clunk that turned out to be brake caliper bolt. Check all bolts in area. Would think your mechanic would of located something so obvious, but have met some really crappy mechanics.

Yep, I've had that too. Use that silicone brake grease on the front too if you don't want the pins to dry out and lock in the calipers.

I don't understand how dry pins would cause a noise that repeats at every turn of the wheel though. If it is the brake rotor touching the brake pad, it means that the rotor is not aligned with axle.

I agree, I was just adding the tip. When my caliper pins dried out and froze, it didn't make any noise, the brakes just stopped working on that side. But the brake pads lasted a very long time, LOL. The loose bolt thing is very real though, I've actually had the car come back from a shop with a loose caliper bolt. I've also had one come loose when I tightened it myself. You have to really crank on those things or they come loose. And even if they are a little loose, it makes a big clunk every time you hit the brakes.

Which means it probably isn't a caliper bolt. It could be loose lug nuts, I guess I don't know what it is, clunks when not braking but doesn't clunk when accelerating. If nothing is loose with the brakes, especially the caliper and the pads aren't broken or something, I'm not sure what it is.

Have you checked for something stupid like a loose piece of plastic clunking on something? I've had stuff like that happen, those plastic panels under the engine breaking and coming lose. I took mine off since they were broken and threw them away. Or an inner wheel well loose and rubbing, something like that can make a lot of noise.

Or even a rock gets on top of one of those panels and makes a racket. Or one time I had a rock get on the plate where the bottom of the spring in the strut is. It bounced around in there and made a huge racket.

Have you had someone else drivethe car while you ride along ?

Sometimes you hear different noises from different seats in the car.

IE a rear wheel bearing can sound like a tranny bearing is loud, until you ride in the back seat.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived