LegacyGT.com

Help please with 2008 LGT I might purchase.

Mazdarx

Hello, Everyone. I am looking for a used car as i need a daily driver. I need it to be a automatic for the wife to drive if her car is in the shop as she isn't allowed to drive my rx7 anymore (poor rx7, god love the wife). I also want awd and a leather interior as i drive clients sometimes so i need a more comfy car than my rx.

I found a 2008 LGT with the auto trans for 14,995 (hope to talk down a grand or so) but i am a bit weary as with any used car its a crap shoot but i keep reading about bad turbos and rings and head gaskets, oh my, that i am on the fence. I did a car fax and this car had its turbo replaced at around 25k miles. looks like it has had all the routine maintenance and it was a one owner car. couple things that caught my eye..

1.Car has 92k miles on an 08 its a bit high but maybe its all highway?

2.The car fax stated the owner did oil changes about every 7k miles...once 10k and a couple times at 5k. I personally change on a 3-5k cycle.

I guess, to cut to the chase, what are the opinions of the owners? I don't plan on modding it unless the mod will extend the life of the vehicle. Do you think i have a good chance at a good car? I plan on test driving tomorrow.

I apologize for not doing a more extensive search. I am so bug eyed from searching on these cars and others that it drives a man to drinking!!

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!

If you check out some of the high-mileage posts on here, there are guys with well over 100k miles who are still really pleased with driveability and performance. I've seen some used as cabs, so that implies a level of reliability under tough driving conditions. Talked to a guy today who bought his at 80k and put 30K miles and a stage 2 mod on it since then.

08 legacys have a vf-46 turbo(more reliable?)

I bought my used 05 legacy with no knowledge of anything like turbo failure or banjo filter screen, no carfax or anything. First turbo car. Maybe just my luck but at 101k its still running and still pulls with no unusual noises or anything.

I really want to see how far it goes til it dies but a new turbos going in just cuz I want a bit more power not cuz I'm worried of it failing cuz I'm not. I really think the turbo will go forever

The recommended OCI for 2008 LGT is 3750, so that's definitely on the long side. That's a significant concern for the long-term health of these cars. If you do purchase, it I would advise immediately replacing the banjo bolts to ensure the filters are clean.

Have you considered an Acura? It might be closer to what you're looking for.

There is a filter in the banjo that feeds oil to the turbo and it's not very easy to get too.

The VF46 might be better than the VF40 but it's not bulletproof. Even if the bearings don't go, you are probably going to have wastegate problems at some point. It's probably what happened at 25k when they replaced it. That price is reasonable and the turbo isn't that hard to replace so what the heck, but if you really want something you don't have to worry about, I would keep looking. I like the Accord/Acura idea for your needs and desires.

Pretty sure if I remember right 08 do not a banjo filter screens anymore and the different turbo is apparently more reliable.

I have replaced the Turbo on my Rx7 Twice and once on the Mazdaspeed (not as easy) so if the Turbo isn't to bad to replace i don't mind taking on the task. Is there a "how to" for replacing the Banjo filter or bolts? I don't mind working on cars as long as i am not doing it every couple months like i am with my mazdaspeed...

I would recommend finding a Legacy that has had its oil changed at the proper intervals or consider an awd acura tl as others have mentioned or an infiniti g35x. These cars can be reliable, but only if they've been maintained properly. The car fax for my car also showed oil changes about every 5-10k miles. I ended up replacing the turbo a month after I bought it. :spin:

Thanks. I am looking at acura TL awd but so far nothing in my area for sale...yet. Maybe tonights test drive will go well. what does a turbo run for these if i do the labor? the mazda's was about $450 - $500

• I Donated
New OEM turbo is about $1100

Why would you buy a new OEM VF46?

Used VF46s go for $300-400, usually. New VF52s are also $1100, although you'd need a tune, so real cost would be more like $1500 when all is said and done.

Why would you buy a new OEM VF46?

Used VF46s go for $300-400, usually. New VF52s are also $1100, although you'd need a tune, so real cost would be more like $1500 when all is said and done.

I knew used VF40s were around $400 I didn't know if the VF46 was about the same or not. I didn't mention the VF52 because he said he didn't want to mod, but I would also recommend that if you're not set on staying stock.

Ok thanks. I postponed the Legacy test drive and am checking out a 2004 volvo s60 R from a co worker. It's a 6 sp (wife cant drive) with 94k but for $8500 it's worth a look too. Thanks guys.

I would look for a Legacy 3.0R they are AWD, Automatic, and Leather. It isn't a manual but you have the RX for that. Its the not all the fun of the turbo. But they are pretty bulletproof. AWD TLs are rare, and the AWD system is not as good as Subaru's.

Archived