LegacyGT.com

Coolant leak

Ive had a small coolant leak ever since I bought my 90 legacy. Just today I got worse. I found that the leak is coming from the water pump. Planning on doing the water pump and timing belt. Im sure somebody has done this job before. Any thing to look out for? Any thing that I should replace whole I have the engine apart? Let me know.

How many miles? A timing belt kit with idler bearings, water pump, thermostat, oil pump, cam seals,front main seal and all the water/oil rubber hoses would basically rebuild the front of the motor . That could cost close to 5-600$ though. I did it with my jdm ej20g and it got much quieter and smoother. Should be good for 120,000 miles after that.

you could get away with another 40,000 on the oil pump but if you got the money its worth tge piece of mind. The timing belt kit should come with idler bearings. if not, buy new ones. All your rubber hoses should need replacing because of age alone.not sure if there's a hose kit, I just went to autozone and walked in back and found prebent hoses I could cut and make work. If you need some timing belt installation instructions, id be happy to take pics from my haynes repair manual.

Archived