LegacyGT.com

99 Legacy body parts on an Outback?

Hi,

Did a search and didn't find an answer.

Can 99 Legacy wagon body parts work on a 99 Outback wagon? In particular the hood and left fender. Plus a few parts under the hood.

My son rear ended someone last night in our 99 Outback Limited. High mileage, but it was a nice running car, so I'm seeing if I can get the parts to repair it. The only economial way of getting the needed body parts is to buy a donor car cheap. Locally I can only find Legacies, no Outbacks.

The body parts are a direct fit. The Legacy IS basically a Outback with different suspension and electrical options. If it's a sedan that you get the parts from the rear windows will not fit. The front fenders & hood should be a perfect match. The bumper off of a Legacy has a different bumper support underneath it then the OBL version.

What other parts are you looking to swap from the donor car?

I need the front head lights and side marker lights. Maybe the radiator support, radiator, and AC condensor.

At first glance the frame is OK. Both front doors operate properly, car starts and runs with no engine codes, but something is rubbing the belts. Also, no air bag deployment.

I was thinking of buying a complete car just to have everything in case something's broken that I don't yet know about.

I'm not looking to make the car pretty, although it was pretty before my son crashed it. At this time I want is safe and legal. Colors don't need to match.

I'm in Delaware, if that helps someone suggest where to find parts or a parts car.

legacy parts should work fine for your application, EXCEPT for the radiator. the outback rads are bigger than the legacy rads.

so outback out back parts that are different from the legacy,

radiator

bumper and underlying support and grill. (if you swap all 3 it will work.)

struts

trans

speedos

sway bars

front bakes

tires

(almost all of these parts will swap but there are conditions like the bumper cover requires the under support and grill. trans will swap but only if you swap the matching rear diff. tire will , but only if the car has taller, outback struts. outback front brakes will swap but only if you use larger , 15'' wheels. etc. etc.)

there may be, probably are , others but this is a start.

Hi johnegg,

By Wednesday the bad parts should all be off the car, so I'll know what's really needing replacement.

The bumper is good enough, and the bumper's underlying support looks to be straighten-able.

The support for the drivers side fender is badly bent, as is the drivers side fender. The radiator support, both top and bottom, needs to be replaced or straightened. These are the items I'm most worried about.

The radiator is not leaking, but I believe it's bent. I don't mind replacing the radiator due to it's age if it's not good. I may not fix the AC unless the fix is cheap. My son drives the car. He broke it. He can do without AC.

I need the driver's side headlight, maybe both headlights. And both side marker lights. You didn't list those as being different.

Struts, trans, speedos, sway bars, rear bakes, and wheels/tires are all good.

I was wondering about the hood. The Legacy hood does not have the fake scoop, but under the fake scoop there's a recess. I was wondering if the space under the scoop might be for the intake manifold IF the 2.5 engine is bigger there. I just don't know. But I don't mind losing the fake scoop.

It sounds like, from what has been said so far, that a 98 Legacy wagon donor car gets me all I need except for the grill.

legacy parts should work fine for your application, EXCEPT for the radiator. the outback rads are bigger than the legacy rads.

so outback out back parts that are different from the legacy,

radiator

bumper and underlying support and grill. (if you swap all 3 it will work.)

struts

trans

speedos

sway bars

rear bakes

tires

(almost all of these parts will swap but there are conditions like the bumper cover requires the under support and grill. trans will swap but only if you swap the matching rear diff. tire will , but only if the car has taller, outback struts. outback rear brakes will sweap but only if you use larger , 15'' wheels. etc. etc.)

there may be, probably are , others but this is a start.

Actually, the radiators are a bit more complicated than that. I learned this the hard way... All 2.2 and 2.5 Legacy's regardless of trim level have the same (and rather small) radiator EXCEPT 96/97 2.5 GT's and 2.5 Outbacks. They have the larger radiator and the rest are smaller. Why? I have absolutely no clue. I thought that the small radiator in my 98 GT was the wrong one so I replaced it with my large one. And then, I go to look at a 99 OBL and find that it has a small radiator as well. I also found that the 98 GT runs cooler overall than my 96 GT did with the same radiator and fans.

It seems that all radiators are interchangeable, you just ABSOLUTELY NEED to have the fan assemblies that are specific to the radiator. They differ between the sizes.

The OB and GT also have the same bumper support bar, same type of impact absorber, and same size grille.

Dang, johnegg is so comprehensive....Years ahead. Thanks J.E.!!

1 question. Why wouldn't a 1999 OB with a manual transmition be able to swap a speedo with a Legact GT's speedo? Both 5mt being a given.

The cars have different size wheels. It's going to read wrong. Also, the OB has a different 5 gear ratio.

Hi johnegg,

By Wednesday the bad parts should all be off the car, so I'll know what's really needing replacement.

The bumper is good enough, and the bumper's underlying support looks to be straighten-able.

The support for the drivers side fender is badly bent, as is the drivers side fender. The radiator support, both top and bottom, needs to be replaced or straightened. These are the items I'm most worried about.

The radiator is not leaking, but I believe it's bent. I don't mind replacing the radiator due to it's age if it's not good. I may not fix the AC unless the fix is cheap. My son drives the car. He broke it. He can do without AC.

I need the driver's side headlight, maybe both headlights. And both side marker lights. You didn't list those as being different.

Struts, trans, speedos, sway bars, rear bakes, and wheels/tires are all good.

I was wondering about the hood. The Legacy hood does not have the fake scoop, but under the fake scoop there's a recess. I was wondering if the space under the scoop might be for the intake manifold IF the 2.5 engine is bigger there. I just don't know. But I don't mind losing the fake scoop.

It sounds like, from what has been said so far, that a 98 Legacy wagon donor car gets me all I need except for the grill.

That A/C condenser would cost about $100 to replace new. If you go used, you will need one of the two styles. 96/97 have it's own design, while 98/99 have another. You'll have to look closely at 97 ones though, as some of them could have either one.

Also, 96/97 model years have one piece headlights while 98/99 have two-piece. You should stick with the two-piece style that you have to avoid wiring and bulb differences.

All hoods are interchangeable from 95 to 99 across the entire Legacy lineup. Nothing underneath affects fitment.

Texas I need that hood. But I'm sure shipping would be more tha. Going out and buying a new one my self. Oh well.

SUCH A SHAME. It's brand new....as in Mint.

Kenny, I already tried the OB 5mt speedo and it worked perfect the speedo was on the money as with the my GT's speedo.

99 OB 5mt

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/9C2559EA.jpg

My LGT's original speedo

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/3EFFA2B0.jpg

Both didn't show a low fuel light on my 99'

some legacys have speedos that go to 140 and have a white needle. i'm not sure the needle color is relevant though.

but the 140 speedos will read wrong in cars with the 120 speedo, and vice versa. also my GT had a different wire connector for the speedo just so it could not be swapped.

i actually swapped the face plates on 120 and 140 speedos to get the ''new'' one to read right. i do not reccomend doing it. much easier to get the actual speedo you need and have the odo adjusted.

Both didn't show a low fuel light on my 99'

lol, you and that darn low fuel warning light obsession!

some legacys have speedos that go to 140 and have a white needle. i'm not sure the needle color is relevant though.

but the 140 speedos will read wrong in cars with the 120 speedo, and vice versa. also my GT had a different wire connector for the speedo just so it could not be swapped.

i actually swapped the face plates on 120 and 140 speedos to get the ''new'' one to read right. i do not reccomend doing it. much easier to get the actual speedo you need and have the odo adjusted.

:O I WANT A 140 SPEEDO......

I can't believe that I didn't know there were 140 speedo's...

I'm like befuddled....

mehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

97 GT speedo

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/MVC-005S-1.jpg

96 lego L

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg240/johnceggleston/MVC-006S-1.jpg

the guts of the speedo are the same. just the face plates and needles are different.if you drive the car with the 97 speedo at ~62.5 mph needle will be straight up in the 12 o'clock position. and then drive the car with the 96 lego speedo at the same speed , based on a gps, the needle will once again be straight up in the 12 o'clock position. but of course it will be pointing to about 73 mph, not 62.

subaru uses a different face plate to allow for different size tires and speedo gears in the trans. it is cheaper than buying a different speedo, i guess.

but changing the faceplates is a bear and really hard to get right.

John does the 96 Lego L have 15 or 16" wheels?

The 97" GT I think came with 16's. So if they are the exact same speedo from the insides then it should really just boiled down to the diameter of the wheels and the sidewalk of the tires that are chosen from OEM. The transmition has nothing to do with the speedo...even with the tach.

*Thread Jack complete*. Sorry! :lol:

the 96 lego L has 185/70/14 tires = 24.2 inch diameter; tire revolutions per mile = 833.5

the 97 GT has 205/55/16 tires = 24.69 inch diameter; tire revolutions per mile = 810.68

that's about a 2.8% difference. the 120 to 140 difference is about 16%.

iirc, there 3 different speedo gears for the 3 different auto trans, L, GT, and outback. the speedo gears, tire size, and speedo face plate all combine to make the speedo read correctly. the outback and the legacy combinations are pretty close to each other. if you swap a lego trans into an outback the speedo is pretty close. but the GT has tires in between the lego and outback sizes so the speedo gears for it are different.

the trans has nothing to do with the speedo except that is where the speedo gears are located. front diff actually.

Okay.....

An L model has the 140 speedo.....

And the GT model has the 120 speedo........

Something doesn't seem quite right with that....

And yes, I have gone over 120 mph a few times. I've already hit 134, according to my GPS. That was with the A/C on and a buddy in the car. It didn't really have anything left in it at that point.

the 96 lego L has 185/70/14 tires = 24.2 inch diameter; tire revolutions per mile = 833.5

the 97 GT has 205/55/16 tires = 24.69 inch diameter; tire revolutions per mile = 810.68

that's about a 2.8% difference. the 120 to 140 difference is about 16%.

iirc, there 3 different speedo gears for the 3 different auto trans, L, GT, and outback. the speedo gears, tire size, and speedo face plate all combine to make the speedo read correctly. the outback and the legacy combinations are pretty close to each other. if you swap a lego trans into an outback the speedo is pretty close. but the GT has tires in between the lego and outback sizes so the speedo gears for it are different.

the trans has nothing to do with the speedo except that is where the speedo gears are located. front diff actually.

John, that was very, very seriously, asian (or Indian, that's red dot Indian & not feather Indian) to get that broken down into a finite science....

Now THAT I'm am 100% in awe of.

Kenny, if you attempt to go 120 mph in that car on those springs and shocks with 200K on them again....I'm calling your mother. :lol: Better hope there isn't any State Troopers out there either.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/5715B921.jpg

John, that was very, very seriously, asian (or Indian, that's red dot Indian & not feather Indian) to get that broken down into a finite science....

Now THAT I'm am 100% in awe of.

Kenny, if you attempt to go 120 mph in that car on those springs and shocks with 200K on them again....I'm calling your mother. :lol: Better hope there isn't any State Troopers out there either.

http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee134/Rubenjc111/5715B921.jpg

right meow!

• 1 month later...

Seeings as I started this thread I thought I should end it. I was able to get a front clip off a 98 Legacy. Sadly the 98 clip was white while our 99 Outback was maroon. Anyone gotta maroon hood and left front fender?

Now for some before and after pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/steven1955/1999%20Subaru%20Accident/BeforeFront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/steven1955/1999%20Subaru%20Accident/AfterFront.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/steven1955/1999%20Subaru%20Accident/BeforeLeftSide.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/steven1955/1999%20Subaru%20Accident/AfterLeftSide.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/steven1955/1999%20Subaru%20Accident/BeforeRightSide.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/steven1955/1999%20Subaru%20Accident/AfterRightSide.jpg

Needed upper and part of the lower radiator support, radiator, AC condensor, grill, all the lights, both fans, coolant overflow tank, and a few other miscellaneous bits.

A testament to how solid this car is, it was driveable after the accident, and the alignment needed only minor adjustments. Which may have been needed before the accident.

I can't take credit for the body work, just gathering the parts.

Even better, I just this afternoon picked up a maroon hood with scoop and a maroon fender with matching stripes. Of course Murphy's law came into play: The installation of the white parts had to be complete before I found the maroon ones.

Archived